Board hears sales tax report
Cloud County's sales tax and compensating use tax received in January (December 2013 sales) was down from the amount received in January 2013.
County treasurer Sheryl Williams reported at the Cloud County Commission meeting Monday that the amount in 2013 was $63,227.61 compared to $65,047.22 received in 2012.
In other business, Highway Administrator Andy Asch reported his department was preparing for the upcoming snow storm and discussed the bridge on the Cloud/Republic County line. After viewing the bridge last week, it was the consensus of the board that because of budget constraints, this is not a good time to repair or replace this bridge.
Calvin Schultz, Kansas Crossroads RC&D invited the board to attend a meeting concerning the North Central Kansas Fairgrounds Improvement Planning and Grant Workshop to be held at 6:30 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 20, at the Commercial Building at the Fairgrounds.
In other matters the board
• Approved department payrolls totaling $132,851.37.
• Discussed the services the Health Department provides to inmates at the law enforcement center with Diana Gering, Health administrator and Vonda Pumarlo, RN.
• Heard a report from Gering that her department is working with the college concerning the possible need for services for students who are attending the college from foreign countries.
• Approved signing a letter to Craig and Janice McClellan congratulating them for receiving the Kansas Bankers Award for Water Quality.
• Discussed the electric transmission lines with Mark Gram that are proposed to be constructed in Cloud County.
• Visited with Leonard Wolfe, United Bank and Trust about the proposed legislation concerning mortgage registration fees.
Commissioners reported on the following meetings they attended during the last week:
Gary Caspers, Homeland Security meeting in Beloit Jan. 8 and LEPC meeting Jan. 29
Gail Engle, Conservation District annual meeting, Jan. 30
Johnita Crawford, Conservation District annual meeting ; North Central Regional Planning Commission meeting in Beloit Jan. 30; and the Pawnee Mental Health meeting Jan. 28 in Clay Center
Concordia High School government students who attended Monday's meeting were Grant Holmes, Kaleb Pounds, Ryan Vignery, and Christian Wetter.
Adjournment was at 12:10 p.m.
District Court CRIMINAL Marcus Jeron Dyer appeared July 2 and was found Guilty and convicted of Possession of Drug Paraphernalia. He was sentenced to 12 months in the Cloud County Jail and ordered to pay costs of the action, $158, an alcohol/drug testing fee of $40, KBI lab fee... [More]
Police Dept. Report Arrests—Officers conducted a traffic stop at 10:05 p.m., July 1, in the 100 block of West 5th and upon investigation arrested Brett Barleen, 37, Concordia, in the 500 block of East 1st. He was charged with Driving Under the Influence, Transporting an... [More]
A great place to buy fireworks since 2002, Kent and Julie Smith's fireworks stand attracts people from all over. Along with a set of regular customers from the area, people from Texas and Nebraska stopped by once and just keep coming back. "Fourth of... [More]
Cordell Cyr singled to drive in Jordan Mehl in the bottom of the seventh inning to give the Concordia Blues a 5-4 victory over Junction City in the second game of an American Legion Baseball doubleheader. The game was tied at 4-4 heading into the bottom half of the... [More]
Beloit scored a run in the top of the ninth inning to squeeze out a 3-2 and complete a sweep of the Concordia Blues in an American Legion Baseball doubleheader Wednesday night at the Concordia Sports Complex. The game was tied at 2-2 through seven innings of play.... [More]
- Subway holds on to beat American Legion
- 16th Street Car Wash tops Lions in title game, 13-8
- CNB sweeps Republic County
- Citizens knocks off Clifton-Clyde twice
- Concordia Blues pick up pair of wins over Linn
- 16th Street , Legion post wins
- Concordia Swim Team competes at York
- Leiszler, Miller named All-NCKL
Youth and horses . . . Since we all are so accustomed to being aware of wars, hunger, hatred and need all over the world, we may tend to become oblivious to the better things in our lives if we but look and think. What clearly brought that into focus was recently... [More]
Peace of mind is clearly an internal matter. It must begin with your own thoughts and then extend outward. It is from your peace of mind that a peaceful perception of the world arises. (A Course in Miracles) Charlie Brown laments, “No matter how I try... [More]