Bowers wins District 36 primary
State Rep. Elaine Bowers (R-Concorida) will be competing with Marquis Clark, Democrat, also of Concordia, in the general election for Kansas State Senator from the 36th District in November.
In Tuesday's primary election Bowers, defeated Kyle Abbott, Smith Center, for the Republican nomination by gaining 65 percent of the votes cast, receiving 9,380 votes to Abbott's 5,400. In an official count, Bowers received more than 90 percent of the vote in Cloud County and more than 80 percent in Republic, Ottawa and Washington counties. In Cloud County, the unofficial count showed Bowers with 1,145 votes and Abbott with 109.
Clark was unopposed in his bid for the Democratic nomination. He received 161 votes in Cloud County.
In the race for the Democratic nomination for State Board of Education, District 6, Carol Viar, Salina, defeated Usha Reddi, Manhattan, receiving 53 percent of the vote. Viar received 151 votes to Reddi's 40 in Cloud County. She will face Republican Deena L. Horst, Salina, in the general election.
Both Republican and Democrat candidates seeking the nomination for Cloud County Sheriff were unopposed. Sheriff Brian Marks, Republican, and former sheriff Larry Bergstrom, Republican, will face off in the general election. Marks received 1,065 votes in the primary and Bergstrom received 145.
Other Cloud County officials running unopposed were county commissioners Gary Caspers, Republican first district, and Gail Engle, Republican, third district; County Clerk, Linda Bogart, Republican; Register of Deeds, Judy Lambert, Republican; County treasurer, Sheryl Williams, Democrat; and County Attorney, Robert Walsh, Democrat.
Of Cloud County's 6,198 voters, 1,494 cast their ballots in Tuesday's primary.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- For the record 5-24-13 - May. 24, 2013
- CCCC hosts intergovernmental meeting - May. 23, 2013
- Alstom Power celebrates being accident free for 1000 days - May. 23, 2013
- CONCORDIA COMMUNITY PARK PROJECT LANDS ITS BIGGEST DONATION YET - May. 22, 2013
- Courthouse 5-22-13 - May. 22, 2013
- Memorial wall will honor Cloud County veterans killed at war - May. 21, 2013
- Commission approves paying invoices - May. 21, 2013
- For the record 5-20-13 - May. 21, 2013