Concordia man sentenced for role in robbery
By Jessica LeDuc
Blade staff writer
A Concordia man has been sentenced for his part in the 2008 robbery of the Jamestown State Bank.
Ryan Steinert, 24, had pled guilty in July to one count of conspiracy to commit bank robbery, and was sentenced Wednesday to 14 months in federal prison.
James Cross, public information officer for U.S. Attorney Barry Grissom, said Steinert was also ordered to pay approximately $5,600 in restitution. He will also be on federal probation for two years after his release from prison.
Earlier this month, Eric Lee Strait, 24, formerly of Concordia, was sentenced to 28 months in federal prison for robbing the Jamestown State Bank on Nov. 14, 2008.
At 9:30 that morning in 2008, Strait entered the bank wearing a mask and brandishing a shotgun. He filled a duffel bag with approximately $5,600 in cash, and drove away in a stolen car. Strait was arrested in November 2012, and pled guilty in May 2013 to one count of bank robbery.
In May 2013, Steinert was indicted on charges of conspiring with Strait to commit the robbery. The indictment alleged the two men worked together to plan the robbery. Strait was to rob the bank alone. Steinert was to destroy the car, a 2002 Chevy Malibu stolen from Clyde, after the robbery.
Strait stole the car the day before the robbery and Steinert helped prepare it before the robbery took place. Afterward, he wiped the car down to remove fingerprints and physical evidence. The two later planned to split the proceeds from the robbery.
Steinert had faced a maximum penalty of five years in federal prison and a fine up to $250,000.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- For the record 12-11-13 - Dec. 11, 2013
- School superintendent retires, rehired - Dec. 10, 2013
- County board holds monthly meeting with department heads - Dec. 10, 2013
- For the record 12-9-13 - Dec. 9, 2013
- Courthouse 12-9-13 - Dec. 9, 2013
- Courthouse 12-6-13 - Dec. 6, 2013
- For the record 12-6-13 - Dec. 6, 2013
- City commission tables wage increase - Dec. 5, 2013
- Work continues on Cloud County Law Enforcement Center - Dec. 5, 2013
- Lowrey to retire - Dec. 5, 2013
- Cost of gravel will increase - Dec. 4, 2013
- Courthouse 12-4-13 - Dec. 4, 2013