County board approves 2015 budget
Following a hearing and answering questions, Cloud County board of commissioners Tuesday approved the budget for 2014, which calls for expenditures of $10,964,538. The budget for 2013 called for expenditures of $10,478,222.
The estimated mill levy for 2015 is 67.327, an increase of .797 from 2014.
In other business, JoDee LeDuc, county treasurer, presented information regarding the amount of compensating use tax and sales tax received for August (July sales) in the amount of $59,404.61, compared to the amount received in August 2013 of $62,69.52.
During Highway Administrator Andy Asch's routine appointment, the board approved a right-of-way use permit for Rural Water District #1 for a buried waterline a half mile west of 60th Road on Vine Road.
Asch also presented a wage change for Jeff Womack, who has completed his introductory period. His wage is now $13.84 per hour.
Asch told the board that employees are checking county roads for damage after the rains over the weekend.
Diana Gering, Health Administrator, discussed a letter received from the Kansas Department of Health and Environment concerning home health.
Gering also reported her department will be taking walk-ins for flu shots, Cloud County Health Center will be doing blood draws and the Health Department will be giving flu shots at the Health Fair to be held Oct. 25 at the hospital. In addition, the Health Department will be working with Pawnee Mental Health Services for medication set-up for their clients.
In other matters the board
• Approved department payrolls totaling $138,483.65
• Discussed issues regarding the Cloud County Jail with Sheriff Brian Marks and Cloud County Attorney Rob Walsh. They also heard a report from Marks that the jail is housing 29 out-of-county prisoners
• Approved a variance for Charles and Julie Bowers from 3 acres to 2.73 acres for the installation of a septic system requested by County Sanitarian Marlene Stamm
• Discussed security for the courthouse with Dave Tangemann, File Safe
• Heard a report from commissioner Gary Caspers that he attended the LEPC meeting on Aug. 27
Adjournment was at noon. Next meeting will be Monday, Sept. 8 at 9 a.m.
A great place to buy fireworks since 2002, Kent and Julie Smith's fireworks stand attracts people from all over. Along with a set of regular customers from the area, people from Texas and Nebraska stopped by once and just keep coming back. "Fourth of... [More]
Due to a mechanical breakdown, Thursday's edition of the Blade-Empire will not reach mail subscribers until Monday, July 6. We apologize for the inconvenience.
The Concordia city commission took no action Wednesday night on a bid for the construction of Broadway Plaza. On Tuesday, the city received only one bid for the construction of the Plaza – from Budreau Construction, Clyde – in the amount of $862,300. City... [More]
Beloit scored a run in the top of the ninth inning to squeeze out a 3-2 and complete a sweep of the Concordia Blues in an American Legion Baseball doubleheader Wednesday night at the Concordia Sports Complex. The game was tied at 2-2 through seven innings of play.... [More]
Citizens National Bank gave up just two runs in beating F&A Food Sales twice in a K-18 Baseball doubleheader Tuesday night at the Concordia Sports Complex. Billy Bechard tossed a two-hitter as Citizens National Bank won the first game, 8-0. He struck out eight... [More]
- 16th Street Car Wash tops Lions in title game, 13-8
- CNB sweeps Republic County
- Citizens knocks off Clifton-Clyde twice
- Concordia Blues pick up pair of wins over Linn
- 16th Street , Legion post wins
- Concordia Swim Team competes at York
- Leiszler, Miller named All-NCKL
- Lions knock off Knights of Columbus
Youth and horses . . . Since we all are so accustomed to being aware of wars, hunger, hatred and need all over the world, we may tend to become oblivious to the better things in our lives if we but look and think. What clearly brought that into focus was recently... [More]
Peace of mind is clearly an internal matter. It must begin with your own thoughts and then extend outward. It is from your peace of mind that a peaceful perception of the world arises. (A Course in Miracles) Charlie Brown laments, “No matter how I try... [More]