Steinert pleads guilty to conspiracy to commit bank robbery
By Jessica LeDuc
Blade staff writer
Ryan Steinert, 24, Concordia, has pleaded guilty in federal court to planning to rob the Jamestown State Bank in 2008.
James Cross, public information officers for U.S. Attorney Barry Grissom, said Steinert pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit bank robbery. In his plea, he admitted he conspired with co-defendant Eric Strait, a former Concordian, to rob the bank. Strait was arrested in November 2012, and pleaded guilty in May to one count of bank robbery.
On Nov. 18, 2008, Strait entered the Jamestown State Bank at about 9:45 a.m. wearing a mask and brandishing a Remington, 12 gauge, pump-action shotgun. He filled a duffle bag with approximately $5,600 in cash, and drove away in a stolen car.
Weeks before the robbery, Steinert conspired with Strait to plan the crime. Steinert admitted to accompanying Strait as Strait stole the shotgun that was used in the robbery.
On or about Nov. 13, 2008, Strait stole a vehicle from Clyde to use it during the robbery. Steinert admitted that he helped Strait by driving him to where the stolen car was hidden and helped to position the car prior to the robbery, as well as helping wipe down the vehicle to remove fingerprints and physical evidence. Steinert also admitted that he helped Strait dispose of the shotgun after the robbery, and received a share of the stolen money.
Steinert's sentencing is scheduled for Oct. 9. He faces a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a fine up to $250,000. Strait's sentencing is scheduled for Aug. 5.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- For the record 12-11-13 - Dec. 11, 2013
- School superintendent retires, rehired - Dec. 10, 2013
- County board holds monthly meeting with department heads - Dec. 10, 2013
- For the record 12-9-13 - Dec. 9, 2013
- Courthouse 12-9-13 - Dec. 9, 2013
- Courthouse 12-6-13 - Dec. 6, 2013
- For the record 12-6-13 - Dec. 6, 2013
- City commission tables wage increase - Dec. 5, 2013
- Work continues on Cloud County Law Enforcement Center - Dec. 5, 2013
- Lowrey to retire - Dec. 5, 2013
- Cost of gravel will increase - Dec. 4, 2013
- Courthouse 12-4-13 - Dec. 4, 2013