Students injured in car crash on I-70
A vehicle carrying students from Clifton-Clyde High School was involved in a roll-over crash on I-70 east of Russell Wednesday afternoon.
The group of six students and their teacher, Laura Stunkel, 29, were on their way home from an art exhibition at Fort Hays State University when the accident happened on the hail-covered road.
The Kansas Highway Patrol reports that Stunkel was eastbound on I-70 at 2:45 p.m. when she lost control on the slick roadway. The 2003 Chevy Suburban crossed the median, sliding sideways, when its driver's side hit the front of a vehicle driven by Melinda Smith, Shawnee. Stunkel's vehicle then rolled onto its top and came to a rest on the right shoulder.
Stunkel, Smith, and students Kegan Hubert, 18, Jonathan Douley, 18, Autumn Sorell, 15, Linney Haas, 15, Dorian Girard, 16, and Tsai Yichi, 16, were all injured and transported to Russell Regional Hospital. All were wearing seatbelts at the time of the accident.
A post on the Clifton-Clyde USD 224 Facebook page said all those involved in the accident are doing well.
"All reports are that everyone is doing fine," the post said.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- Courthouse 12-6-13 - Dec. 6, 2013
- For the record 12-6-13 - Dec. 6, 2013
- City commission tables wage increase - Dec. 5, 2013
- Work continues on Cloud County Law Enforcement Center - Dec. 5, 2013
- Lowrey to retire - Dec. 5, 2013
- Cost of gravel will increase - Dec. 4, 2013
- Courthouse 12-4-13 - Dec. 4, 2013
- For the record 12-2-13 - Dec. 2, 2013
- For the record 11-29-13 - Nov. 29, 2013
- Courthouse 11-29-13 - Nov. 29, 2013