USD 333 to close Concordia Middle School
Given a choice between cutting staff and programs or closing a facility to reduce operating costs, the Unified School District 333 board of education opted to go the facilities route.
The board voted 5-0 Monday night to close the Concordia Middle School and move the fifth and sixth grade students to the junior-senior high school building for the 2013-14 school year.
Superintendent of schools Beverly Mortimer recommended the move to the board prior to the vote.
“I am comfortable standing here tonight saying I think this is the right thing to do,” Mortimer said.
The closing of the middle school was proposed to the board as part of a three phase plan presented by Jerry McCall, Educational Consulting Services, Lincoln, Neb., during the September board meeting.
Three public meetings were conducted to discuss the plan, and address any questions or concerns.
Mortimer gave the board a summary of the information that was presented at the three public meetings.
Included in the presentation is the fact that the district’s h
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- Courthouse 12-12-13 - Dec. 12, 2013
- For the record 12-11-13 - Dec. 11, 2013
- School superintendent retires, rehired - Dec. 10, 2013
- County board holds monthly meeting with department heads - Dec. 10, 2013
- For the record 12-9-13 - Dec. 9, 2013
- Courthouse 12-9-13 - Dec. 9, 2013
- Courthouse 12-6-13 - Dec. 6, 2013
- For the record 12-6-13 - Dec. 6, 2013
- City commission tables wage increase - Dec. 5, 2013
- Work continues on Cloud County Law Enforcement Center - Dec. 5, 2013
- Lowrey to retire - Dec. 5, 2013