Cloud County's sales tax and compensating use tax received in January (December 2013 sales) was down from the amount received in January 2013.
County treasurer Sheryl Williams reported at the Cloud County Commission meeting Monday that the amount in 2013 was $63,227.61 compared to $65,047.22 received in 2012.
In other business, Highway Administrator Andy Asch reported his department was preparing for the upcoming snow storm and discussed the bridge on the Cloud/Republic County line. After viewing the bridge last week, it was the consensus of the board that because of budget constraints, this is not a good time to repair or replace this bridge.
Calvin Schultz, Kansas Crossroads RC&D invited the board to attend a meeting concerning the North Central Kansas Fairgrounds Improvement Planning and Grant Workshop to be held at 6:30 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 20, at the Commercial Building at the Fairgrounds.
In other matters the board
• Approved department payrolls totaling $132,851.37.
• Discussed the services the Health Department provides to inmates at the law enforcement center with Diana Gering, Health administrator and Vonda Pumarlo, RN.
• Heard a report from Gering that her department is working with the college concerning the possible need for services for students who are attending the college from foreign countries.
• Approved signing a letter to Craig and Janice McClellan congratulating them for receiving the Kansas Bankers Award for Water Quality.
• Discussed the electric transmission lines with Mark Gram that are proposed to be constructed in Cloud County.
• Visited with Leonard Wolfe, United Bank and Trust about the proposed legislation concerning mortgage registration fees.
Commissioners reported on the following meetings they attended during the last week:
Gary Caspers, Homeland Security meeting in Beloit Jan. 8 and LEPC meeting Jan. 29
Gail Engle, Conservation District annual meeting, Jan. 30
Johnita Crawford, Conservation District annual meeting ; North Central Regional Planning Commission meeting in Beloit Jan. 30; and the Pawnee Mental Health meeting Jan. 28 in Clay Center
Concordia High School government students who attended Monday's meeting were Grant Holmes, Kaleb Pounds, Ryan Vignery, and Christian Wetter.
Adjournment was at 12:10 p.m.