#3 T-Birds lose twice at Thunderduck Invitational
RICHLAND, Texas — Riding a nine game winning streak into the Thunderduck Invitational, hosted by Richland College, the third-ranked Cloud County Thunderbirds suffered two losses.
Cloud County was beaten 3-1 by Western Texas on Friday, and then lost 1-0 to host Richland College on Sunday.
The Thunderbirds did not have a shot on goal in the loss to Richland.
Richland scored with eight seconds remaining in the match to pull out the win.
“On Sunday I decided to prove a point, and allowed them to play however they wanted. I wanted to see which kids would go out and play my way or, given the freedom, play the way they wanted,” Cloud County coach Steve Ralos said.
Cloud County, now 12-3, scored quickly in the loss to Western Texas on Friday.
Chris Lavery knocked in the T-Birds’ lone goal off an assist from Gerdson Lubin in the 12th minute to put them up 1-0.
“For the first 15 minutes we completely controlled the match. I had some selfish kids who decided to play their way,” Ralos said.
Western Texas answered with two goals in the first half, and led 2-1.
A goal in the second half gave Western Texas the 3-1 victory.
Cloud County will host Neosho County in a Jayhawk Conference match on Tuesday.
Maple Woods 3,
Cloud County 1
The Cloud County women suffered a 3-1 loss to Maple Woods College on Thursday.
Georgia Walters scored the lone goal for the T-Birds, who are now 7-7 heading into a home match against Neosho County on Tuesday.
“We sat back and defended,” Ralos said, “We have got an important stretch of Conference games coming up.”
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- CHS boys down Clay Center 65-49 to earn first trip to state since 1999 - Mar. 10, 2014
- Tigers stun Panthers 48-40 in sub-state title game - Mar. 10, 2014
- T-Birds lose doubleheader at Butler County - Mar. 10, 2014
- Robinson wins national high jump title - Mar. 10, 2014
- Stewart, Alexander named all-conference - Mar. 10, 2014
- Panthers dominate Smoky Valley - Mar. 10, 2014
- T-Birds split with Butler - Mar. 7, 2014
- CHS girls reach sub-state finals - Mar. 7, 2014
- Grizzlies fight off T-Birds in Region 6 quarterfinals - Mar. 6, 2014
- Local wrestlers place - Mar. 4, 2014