Blues to play for zone championship
MARYSVILLE — Nathan Gieber tossed a shutout, and the Concordia Blues reached the championship game of the American Legion Baseball Class AA Zone Tournament by defeating Marysville 5-0 in the semifinals Monday night.
Gieber blanked Marysville on seven hits. He struck out five and walked one in seven innings.
Frankfort downed Linn 15-3 in the first game on Monday night.
Concordia will play the winner of the game between Frankfort and Marysville tonight.
Marysville left 12 baserunners stranded in the loss to Concordia.
Brock Watts matched Gieber in blanking the Blues over the first three innings.
Trevor Nordell led off the bottom of the fourth inning with a double and scored on a double by Skyler Hittle to give Concordia a 1-0 lead.
With one out in the bottom of the fifth inning, Ryan Perkins singled and advanced on a single by Bowe Behymer. He would score on an error.
Gieber doubled, and the Blues had baserunners at second and third with one out.
A pair of fly balls ended the inning.
Concordia pushed the lead to 5-0 with three runs in the sixth inning.
Jordan Mehl got things started with a double, and Connor Eilert was hit by a pitch.
Chanse Copple singled, and with two out, Behymer and Gieber each singled.
Gieber gave up a pair of singles in the top of the seventh inning, but did not allow a run.
Watts gave up five runs on nine hits, struck out two and walked one.
Behymer and Gieber had two hits each for the Blues.
Trevor Moser and Garrett Eck had two hits each for Marysville.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- T-Birds split with Butler - Mar. 7, 2014
- CHS girls reach sub-state finals - Mar. 7, 2014
- Grizzlies fight off T-Birds in Region 6 quarterfinals - Mar. 6, 2014
- Local wrestlers place - Mar. 4, 2014
- Mavericks bounce T-Birds from Region 6 Tournament - Mar. 3, 2014
- Hittle places second at state - Mar. 3, 2014
- CCCC defeats NWKT advances, to quarterfinals - Mar. 3, 2014
- James signs with McPherson - Mar. 3, 2014