Cincinnati State clips T-Birds, 2-1
TYLER, Texas — Cloud County’s bid for a second title in three years ended with a 2-1 loss to Cincinnati State College in the second round of pool play at the NJCAA Division I Men’s National Championships.
The Thunderbirds, the 2011 nationals champions, went 0-2 in pool play and were knocked out of the tournament.
Cloud County lost 4-2 to San Jacinto-South on Monday.
Cincinnati State (18-1-2) plays San Jacinto-South (19-1) in the final round of the pool play today. The winner advances to the semifinals on Friday.
In the other games played on Tuesday, Lewis & Clark (Ill.) College defeated Ranger (Texas) College 3-1, Eastern Florida State downed Burlington (N.J.) County 2-1 and CCBC-Essex (Md.) shut out ASA (N.Y.), 1-0.
Cloud County, which finished up 13-11, battled Cincinnati State to a scoreless draw in the first half.
The Surge took a 1-0 lead on an unassisted goal with 66:56 gone by in the match.
Cloud County scored less than two minutes later on an unassisted goal by Leonardo Catarina to tie the match at 1-1.
Cincinnati State needed less than a minute to reclaim the lead at 2-1 when Kevin Walker scored an unassisted goal.
The Surge shut out the T-Birds the rest of the way to secure the win.
Cloud County finished with eight shots in the match, four on goal.
Cincinnati State goalkeeper Ryan Hall had three saves.
The Surge had 15 shots, eight on goal.
Saul Gutierrez had six saves for Cloud County.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- T-Birds split with Butler - Mar. 7, 2014
- CHS girls reach sub-state finals - Mar. 7, 2014
- Grizzlies fight off T-Birds in Region 6 quarterfinals - Mar. 6, 2014
- Local wrestlers place - Mar. 4, 2014
- Mavericks bounce T-Birds from Region 6 Tournament - Mar. 3, 2014
- Hittle places second at state - Mar. 3, 2014
- CCCC defeats NWKT advances, to quarterfinals - Mar. 3, 2014
- James signs with McPherson - Mar. 3, 2014