Cloud County splits doubleheader
Cloud County banged out 16 hits on its way to a 9-0 win over Coffeyville in the second game of a Jayhawk Conference Eastern Division doubleheader on Friday.
The Thunderbirds lost the first game of the twinbill 2-1 in eight innings despite 10 hits, but bounced back to win the second game to earn the split.
Savanna Luke pitched a two-hitter to get the win for Cloud County. She struck out six and didn’t walk any in five innings of work.
The T-Birds, now 9-7 overall and 7-7 in the Jayhawk East, jumped out to a 5-0 lead in the first inning.
Sierra Eason led off with a double, and scored on a single by Chatley Lovvorn.
Kaylee Mick singled with two out, and Mikayla Soderstrom followed with a run- producing single.
Kelsey Jones drove in a run with a single.
Tavia Fazel singled home two runs.
Cloud County added a run in the second inning when Lovvorn singled and scored on a double by Mick.
Jones and Katelyn Bailey singled in the bottom of the third inning, and Eason hit a three-run home run to put the T-Birds up 9-0.
The game ended after the top of the fifth inning.
Eason had two hits, drove in three runs and scored two.
Lovvorn had three hits and scored two runs.
Mick was 3-for-3 at the plate.
Fazel had two hits and drove in two runs.
Soderstrom and Jones had two hits each.
In the first game, Cloud County took a 1-0 lead in the first inning.
Eason walked and scored on a single by Lovvorn.
The T-Birds then stranded 13 baserunners.
Coffeyville tied the game at 1-1 with a run in the top of the fourth inning.
The game was still knotted at 1-1 through seven innings.
Leeza Enfield led off the top of the eighth inning with a home run to put Coffeyville up 2-1.
Soderstrom doubled with one out in the bottom of the eighth.
Fazel singled with two out to advance Soderstrom to third.
Bailey then popped out to end the game.
Jones pitched all eight innings in taking the loss. She gave up two runs on three hits, struck out three and didn’t walk any.
Soderstrom and Bailey had two hits each for the T-Birds.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- T-Birds split with Butler - Mar. 7, 2014
- CHS girls reach sub-state finals - Mar. 7, 2014
- Grizzlies fight off T-Birds in Region 6 quarterfinals - Mar. 6, 2014
- Local wrestlers place - Mar. 4, 2014
- Mavericks bounce T-Birds from Region 6 Tournament - Mar. 3, 2014
- Hittle places second at state - Mar. 3, 2014
- CCCC defeats NWKT advances, to quarterfinals - Mar. 3, 2014
- James signs with McPherson - Mar. 3, 2014
- Panthers win in overtime over Abilene - Feb. 28, 2014
- Panthers stun Cowgirls - Feb. 28, 2014
- JV boys lose to Abilene - Feb. 28, 2014
- Abilene downs JV girls - Feb. 28, 2014