Cowboys roll CHS wrestlers
The Abilene Cowboys pinned a 58-21 North Central Kansas League dual loss on the Concordia Panthers Thursday night in the Concordia Junior-Senior High School gymnasium.
Abilene won six matches by falling, including the first five of the dual.
Concordia picked up wins in just four matches in falling to 1-2 in League duals.
Logan McDowell got Abilene started by pinning Brenton Edwards in the 106-pound class.
Concordia’s Matthew Whitley, 113, lost by fall to Zane Braugh.
Gage Canfield was pinned by Junior Morgan in the 120-pound class.
Isaac Sprague lost by fall to Caysen Smith in the 126-pound class.
Lane Collins, 132, was pinned by Seth Strauss.
“I was very impressed with the way Abilene’s wrestlers came out and attacked, and forced the action, in the lower weight classes,” Concordia coach Kevin Brown said, “We need to start gaining control of the ties, and focus on controlling our opponents from the neutral position. This will help us to open up our attacks and force our opponents out of position, allowing us some scoring opportunities.”
Unbeaten Drake Hake picked up Concordia’s first win of the night by pinning Blake Anquiano in the 138-pound class.
Jared Knapp, 145, lost a 15-3 major decision to Abilene’s Matthew McClanahan.
Keenan Edwards, 152, was pinned by JT Brantley.
The Panthers gave up a forfeit to Jovany Garcia in the 160-pound class.
Shea Crum pulled out a 4-2 decision over Abilene’s Blaise Lehman in the 170-pound class.
Concordia was open at 182.
Skyler Hittle won by forfeit in the 195-pound class for the Panthers.
Concordia’s Kyle Marks pinned Jaron Dillon in the 220-pound class.
Zak Romo, 285, was pinned by Johnathon Todd.
“These men are working hard in the practice room, and I believe are getting better,” Brown said, “The mat time against quality opponents will make us better, and help us learn position and seeing scoring opportunities. At this point in the season we need to continue to focus on minimizing technical errors and continue to improve each match.”
The Panthers will compete in the Beloit Invitational today and Saturday.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- Panthers romp past Bulldogs in league matchup - Dec. 18, 2013
- Panthers lose to Bulldogs - Dec. 18, 2013
- Bulldogs outscore Panthers, 68-63 - Dec. 18, 2013
- CHS JV wins, 56-52 - Dec. 18, 2013
- Panthers fall in semifinal - Dec. 17, 2013
- Panthers lose in first round of NCKL tournament - Dec. 17, 2013
- Panthers pull away from Vikings, 69-41 - Dec. 16, 2013
- Unbeaten Panthers hold off Vikings - Dec. 16, 2013
- CHS goes 4-3 in Eagle Invitational - Dec. 16, 2013
- Panther JV tumbles - Dec. 16, 2013
- CJHS wrestlers place fourth in league - Dec. 16, 2013
- Two ConKids wrestlers place in top four - Dec. 16, 2013
- Eighth grade gets win over Republic County - Dec. 13, 2013
- Seventh grade cruises past Republic County - Dec. 13, 2013