Eight CHS wrestlers place in top four at Wamego tournament
WAMEGO — Eight of 10 Concordia High School wrestlers placed in the top four in the Wamego Invitational on Saturday.
Concordia had three individual champions, Cameron Miller, Drake Hake and Skyler Hittle in the tournament.
There were no team scores available at press time.
Miller, a freshman, posted a 4-0 record in placing first in the 106-pound class. He beat Logan McDowell, Abilene, 6-2 in the championship match and had two pins.
Hake, 138 pounds, edged Kyle Wilson, Wamego, 2-1 in the title match. He was 4-0 with two pins.Wilson finished second in the 4A state tournament in the 132-pound class last year.
Hittle won all four matches, with two pins, on his way to placing first in the 195-pound match. He won a 6-2 decision over Julius Coats, Tonganoxie, in the finals.
Blane Payeur placed second in the 170-pound class for Concordia. He was 3-1 with two pins.
Shea Crum, 160 pounds, was 3-1 on his way to a third-place finish.
James McCabe finished fourth in the 113-pound class for the Panthers. He was 2-2.
Isaac Sprague, 126, placed fourth with a 3-2 record. All three wins were by pin.
Kyle Marks went 2-2 and finished fourth in the 220-pound class.
Concordia’s Keenan Edwards went 2-1 in the tournament for Concordia. He registered two pins.
Gage Canfield was 2-2 in the 120-pound class.
“I was very pleased with the way we wrestled for our first matches of the year. Everyone was able to pick up at least two wins and score points for the team,” Concordia coach Kevin Brown said, “I am excited about the fight in these young men. Even in losses, we fought hard and our opponents were forced to earn the win. We need to continue to improve on pushing the tempo of matches, creating scoring opportunities and forcing our opponents into bad positions.”
The Concordia junior varsity competed in the Salina South Invitational on Saturday.
Stafen Guevara was 2-0 and placed first in the 285-pound class.
Brenton Edwards, 106, finished third with a 2-1 record.
Matthew Whitley went 3-1 to place third in the 113-pound class.
Yeoman Whitley, 120, was third. He was 3-2.
Jared Knapp placed fourth in the 145-pound class. He was 2-2.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- Cloud County scorches Broncos - Dec. 9, 2013
- Trojans pull away from Panthers in opener, 63-48 - Dec. 9, 2013
- T-Birds fall short againsty No. 7 Reivers - Dec. 9, 2013
- Panthers battle past Trojans, 63-61 - Dec. 9, 2013
- CHS wrestlers place sixth at Wamego - Dec. 9, 2013
- Hawks drop T-Birds, 63-60 - Dec. 9, 2013
- CJHS wrestlers go 1-2 - Dec. 9, 2013
- Trojans knock off JV boys - Dec. 9, 2013
- JV girls lose - Dec. 9, 2013
- Two ConKids wrestlers place first - Dec. 9, 2013
- Hawks hold off hard charging T-Birds - Dec. 5, 2013
- Eighth grade girls lose to Sacred Heart - Dec. 4, 2013
- Seventh grade wins 35-4 - Dec. 4, 2013