Eighth grade loses in second round
The Concordia eighth grade boys’ basketball team defeated Marysville and then lost to Abilene in the North Central Kansas League Tournament on Monday.
Concordia used a big fourth quarter to get past Marysville 33-30 in the opening round of the tournament it is hosting.
Playing a second game, against an Abilene team that received a bye in the first round, the Panthers were beaten 52-12.
Concordia will play Clay Center for third place on Thursday.
Trailing 30-19 after three quarters of play, the Panthers shut out Marysville in the final period, and put up 14 points to capture the win.
Ian Nordell scored nine points in that fourth quarter, and finished the game with 20 for Concordia.
Cole Larsen added five points.
Marysville doubled up the Panthers, 14-7, in the first quarter.
The Panthers were outscored 11-7 in the second period, and trailed 25-14 at halftime.
Each team scored five points in the third quarter, and Marysville led 30-19.
Concordia then used the big fourth quarter to rally for the win.
In the semifinal game, the Panthers fell behind Abilene 15-3 in the opening period.
Abilene pumped in 19 points in the second stanza, to seven for the Panthers, and led 34-10 at halftime.
Concordia went scoreless in the third quarter, and Abilene scored 12 points to make it 46-10.
Abilene added six points in the final period to two for the Panthers.
Nordell and Matthew James scored three points each for Concordia.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- T-Birds split with Butler - Mar. 7, 2014
- CHS girls reach sub-state finals - Mar. 7, 2014
- Grizzlies fight off T-Birds in Region 6 quarterfinals - Mar. 6, 2014
- Local wrestlers place - Mar. 4, 2014
- Mavericks bounce T-Birds from Region 6 Tournament - Mar. 3, 2014
- Hittle places second at state - Mar. 3, 2014
- CCCC defeats NWKT advances, to quarterfinals - Mar. 3, 2014
- James signs with McPherson - Mar. 3, 2014