Fabarez competes in state tournament
CHENEY — The late season momentum that Concordia High School senior Micah Fabarez enjoyed the previous two weeks did not carry over to the Class 4A state tournament.
Fabarez had recorded a third-place finish in the North Central Kansas League tournament and a sixth-place finish in the Class 4A regional at Turkey Creek in McPherson, the two tournaments leading up to state.
On a day when 31 players shot 79 or better, Fabarez carded an 86 to place 70th at state at Cherry Oaks Golf Course.
“He didn’t play his best,” Concordia coach Emmet Rudolph said, “It was hard to watch him struggle, as well as he had played the last two tournaments.”
Fabarez, who shot 79 on a difficult Wamego Country Club course in the league tournament and 77 at regional, shot a 43 on the front nine and a 43 on the back.
“He didn’t have the control he had the last two tournaments. It just wasn’t his day,” Rudolph said.
The top 20 earn medals, and it took 77 to finish in a tie for 20th.
“There were a good group of golfers down there this year,” Rudolph said.
Wichita Collegiate won the team title with a 299.
Defending champion Kansas City Piper finished second with a 305.
Topeka Hayden and Buhler tied at 316, and Hayden had the lower fifth score to place third.
Kaden Macha, Iola; Camron Chugg, Wichita Collegiate and Montana Fasching, Piper, each shot even par 72.
Macha made par on the first playoff hole to earn medalist honors.
Chugg finished second and Fasching was third.
CLASS 4A STATE
at Cherry Oaks
Wichita Collegiate 299, Kansas City Piper 305, Topeka Hayden 316, Buhler 316, Paola 320, Independence 325, Hesston 325, Andale 331, Bonner Springs 332, Labette County 334, Larned 335, Iola 335.
1. Macha, Iola, 72; 2. Chugg, Wichita Collegiate, 72; 3. Fasching, Piper, 72; 4. Rinehart, Piper, 73; 5. Ihrig, Goodland, 74; 6. Lara, Towanda-Circle, 74; 7. Sandburg, Tonganoxie, 74; 8. Holaday, Holton, 74; 9. Walters, Paola, 74; 10. Amrein, Topeka Hayden, 75; 11. Trebilcock, Wichita Collegiate, 75; 12. McClain, Bonner Springs, 75; 13. Ryan Elder, Wamego, 76; 14. Kemmer, Wichita Collegiate, 76; 15. Larsen, Wichita Collegiate, 76; 16. Henricks, Buhler, 76; 17. Anderson, Andale, 77; 18. Cain, Mulvane, 77; 19. Dugan, Holton, 77; 20. Nutt, Independence, 77.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- T-Birds split with Butler - Mar. 7, 2014
- CHS girls reach sub-state finals - Mar. 7, 2014
- Grizzlies fight off T-Birds in Region 6 quarterfinals - Mar. 6, 2014
- Local wrestlers place - Mar. 4, 2014
- Mavericks bounce T-Birds from Region 6 Tournament - Mar. 3, 2014
- Hittle places second at state - Mar. 3, 2014
- CCCC defeats NWKT advances, to quarterfinals - Mar. 3, 2014
- James signs with McPherson - Mar. 3, 2014