Fabarez competes in state tournament
CHENEY — The late season momentum that Concordia High School senior Micah Fabarez enjoyed the previous two weeks did not carry over to the Class 4A state tournament.
Fabarez had recorded a third-place finish in the North Central Kansas League tournament and a sixth-place finish in the Class 4A regional at Turkey Creek in McPherson, the two tournaments leading up to state.
On a day when 31 players shot 79 or better, Fabarez carded an 86 to place 70th at state at Cherry Oaks Golf Course.
“He didn’t play his best,” Concordia coach Emmet Rudolph said, “It was hard to watch him struggle, as well as he had played the last two tournaments.”
Fabarez, who shot 79 on a difficult Wamego Country Club course in the league tournament and 77 at regional, shot a 43 on the front nine and a 43 on the back.
“He didn’t have the control he had the last two tournaments. It just wasn’t his day,” Rudolph said.
The top 20 earn medals, and it took 77 to finish in a tie for 20th.
“There were a good group of golfers down there this year,” Rudolph said.
Wichita Collegiate won the team title with a 299.
Defending champion Kansas City Piper finished second with a 305.
Topeka Hayden and Buhler tied at 316, and Hayden had the lower fifth score to place third.
Kaden Macha, Iola; Camron Chugg, Wichita Collegiate and Montana Fasching, Piper, each shot even par 72.
Macha made par on the first playoff hole to earn medalist honors.
Chugg finished second and Fasching was third.
CLASS 4A STATE
at Cherry Oaks
Wichita Collegiate 299, Kansas City Piper 305, Topeka Hayden 316, Buhler 316, Paola 320, Independence 325, Hesston 325, Andale 331, Bonner Springs 332, Labette County 334, Larned 335, Iola 335.
1. Macha, Iola, 72; 2. Chugg, Wichita Collegiate, 72; 3. Fasching, Piper, 72; 4. Rinehart, Piper, 73; 5. Ihrig, Goodland, 74; 6. Lara, Towanda-Circle, 74; 7. Sandburg, Tonganoxie, 74; 8. Holaday, Holton, 74; 9. Walters, Paola, 74; 10. Amrein, Topeka Hayden, 75; 11. Trebilcock, Wichita Collegiate, 75; 12. McClain, Bonner Springs, 75; 13. Ryan Elder, Wamego, 76; 14. Kemmer, Wichita Collegiate, 76; 15. Larsen, Wichita Collegiate, 76; 16. Henricks, Buhler, 76; 17. Anderson, Andale, 77; 18. Cain, Mulvane, 77; 19. Dugan, Holton, 77; 20. Nutt, Independence, 77.
DES MOINES, Iowa — Gymnasts representing the Concordia Gymnastics Center competed in the 2014 Junior Olympics. Katie Thompson, Concordia, captured first place in the all-around in the Level 7, 18-year-old division. She was first on the bars, first in the floor exercise,... [More]
WATHENA – The Concordia Blues advanced to the semifinals of the Class AA State American Legion baseball tournament with a 9-6 win over Larned here last night. The Blues are one of just two unbeaten teams remaining in the double elimination tournament. Fort Scott, also unbeaten... [More]
- Blues suffer consecutive losses in state tournament
- Blues win in first round of state tournament
- Blues rally to complete sweep of Plainville
- Concordia Lions beat Knights of Columbus
- Concordia Swim Team competes in Clay Center
- Cloud County Co-op tops American Legion
- Concordia Swim Team hosts meet
- CCCC has three claim national titles
Six people were appointed to the newly formed Concordia Arts Commission during Wednesday night's city commission meeting. City Manager Larry Uri said the idea for an arts commission came about because of a grant he is working on for a mural at the proposed Broadway Plaza... [More]
Police Dept. Report Accident—At 4 p.m., Aug. 20, officers investigated an accident in the 600 block of Washington involving vehicles driven by Savannah Brockelman and Leslie Freeman, both of Concordia.
Police Dept. Report Arrest—Officers arrested Erin Crawford, 21, Concordia, at 5:10 p.m., Aug. 19, in the 100 block of West 6th Street on a Cloud County Warrant for Failure to Comply. Crawford was transported to Cloud County Law Enforcement Center. Fire Dept./EMS Report... [More]
Times not to be forgotten . . . A recent headline declares “Music complements life.” Does it ever! But the immediate reaction to that headline was thinking that, hopefully, we soon could be hearing early band practice. It gets me out of bed on lazy... [More]
Under August 20, “Touchstones,” a book of daily meditations for men, has this to offer, “Spiritual growth is the result of coming face-to-face with our own situation, feeling the brunt of our own puzzlement, recognizing no recipe will apply completely,... [More]