Fabarez qualifies for 4A state golf tournament
MCPHERSON — Playing some of his best golf at the right time of the season, Concordia High School senior Micah Fabarez earned a trip to the Class 4A state tournament.
Coming off a third-place finish in the North Central Kansas League tournament the week before, Fabarez shot a 77 to place sixth in the Class 4A regional Monday at Turkey Creek Golf Course.
The sixth-place finish qualifies Fabarez for the state tournament next Monday at Cherry Oaks Golf Course in Cheney.
“He did really well at league and he did well at regionals. Hopefully he has got one more solid round in him,” Concordia coach Emmet Rudolph said.
Fabarez shot a 38 on the front nine, and followed that up with a 39 on the back. He birdied the par 5 18th hole to finish with the 77.
“It was a great way for him to finish his round,” Rudolph said.
Fabarez finished in a four-way tie for fourth place.
Matt Steele, Hesston, birdied the first playoff hole to place fourth.
Fabarez and Ryan Elder, Wamego, each made par on the first hole. Brandon Swank made a bogey, and finished seventh.
Elder made a par on the second hole, and Fabarez made bogey to place sixth.
The top two teams, and the top five individuals not on one of those teams. qualifies for state.
“I am proud of him. He has been a great senior leader,” Rudolph said.
Hesston shot a 310 to capture the team title.
Buhler finished just one stroke back in second place with a 311.
Concordia finished sixth as a team with a 353.
Grant Holmes shot 85 for Concordia.
Christian Wetter carded a 94, and Cooper Holmes rounded out the top four with a 97.
Chase Streeter shot 98 for the Panthers, and James McCabe had a 108.
Quentin Henricks, Buhler, was the individual medalist with a 74.
Tyler Heimerman, Buhler, finished second with a 75 and Matt Thayne, Hesston, was third with a 76.
“There were some really good scores,” Rudolph said.
CLASS 4A REGIONAL
at Turkey Creek
Hesston 310, Buhler 311, McPherson 337, Abilene 337, Wamego 339, Concordia 353, Chapman 415, Clay Center 422, Nickerson 445.
Top 10 Individuals
1. Henricks, Buhler, 74; 2. Heimerman, Buhler, 75; 3. Thayne, Hesston, 76; 4. Steele, Hesston, 77; 5. Elder, Wamego, 77; 6. Fabarez, Concordia, 77; 7. Swank, Hesston, 77; 8. Anderson, Buhler, 79; 9. Waters, Wamego, 79; 10. Ewert, Hesston, 80.
Individual State Qualifiers
Elder, Wamego, 77; Fabarez, Concordia, 77; Waters, Wamego, 79; Harms, Abilene, 81; Blosser, McPherson, 82.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- Hawks hold off hard charging T-Birds - Dec. 5, 2013
- Eighth grade girls lose to Sacred Heart - Dec. 4, 2013
- Seventh grade wins 35-4 - Dec. 4, 2013
- Reivers too much for Cloud County - Dec. 2, 2013
- T-Birds lose for second time in two days - Dec. 2, 2013
- Cloud County uses balance in win over Northern Oklahoma-Tonkawa - Dec. 2, 2013
- T-Birds can't recover from Cougars second half run - Dec. 2, 2013