Irish slip past CHS
CHAPMAN — Using late game heroics to win the first game, and taking advantage of 12 Concordia errors in the second game, the Chapman Irish swept a North Central Kansas League softball doubleheader from the Panthers on Friday.
Macey Langvardt hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the eighth inning to keep Chapman alive in game one, and then singled in the winning run in the 10th inning of a 4-3 victory over Concordia.
The Panthers committed 12 errors, including seven in the third inning, in losing the second game 16-3 in three innings.
Concordia broke a scoreless tie with a run in the top of the fourth inning in game one.
Nikki Blankenbeckley walked with one out, stole second and scored on a single by Robin Daniels.
Chapman would score a run in the bottom of the seventh inning to tie the game and force extra innings.
Concordia, 1-5 and 1-3 in the League, put up two runs in the top of the eighth inning to go up 3-1.
Olivia Leif singled and scored the first run.
Tristen Leiszler reached base on an error and scored for the Panthers.
Langvardt’s homer in the bottom of the eighth pulled Chapman even at 3-3.
Neither team scored in the ninth inning, and Concordia was retired in order in the top of the 10th.
Langvardt singled with two aboard and one out in the bottom of the 10th inning to give Chapman the win.
Allissa Kearn pitched all 10 innings in suffering the loss for Concordia. She gave up four runs on six hits, struck out four and walked one.
Morgan Beemer limited Concordia to three hits.
Chapman got out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning in game two.
A run the second inning put the Irish up 3-0.
Taking advantage of the seven Panther errors, Chapman sent 14 batters to the plate, and scored 10 runs in the bottom of the third inning to make it a 13-0 game.
Daniels and Leiszler each singled and scored in the top of the fourth inning, and Concordia trailed 13-2.
Chapman made it 16-2 with three runs in the bottom of the fourth.
Blankenbeckley singled and scored a run in the top of the fifth for the Panthers.
The game ended after the top of the fifth.
Chelsea Martin pitched two and two-thirds innings in taking the loss. She allowed 13 runs on just six hits.
Madeline Hoard allowed three runs on three hits in an inning and a third.
Leif had two hits for Concordia.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- CHS boys down Clay Center 65-49 to earn first trip to state since 1999 - Mar. 10, 2014
- Tigers stun Panthers 48-40 in sub-state title game - Mar. 10, 2014
- T-Birds lose doubleheader at Butler County - Mar. 10, 2014
- Robinson wins national high jump title - Mar. 10, 2014
- Stewart, Alexander named all-conference - Mar. 10, 2014
- Panthers dominate Smoky Valley - Mar. 10, 2014
- T-Birds split with Butler - Mar. 7, 2014
- CHS girls reach sub-state finals - Mar. 7, 2014
- Grizzlies fight off T-Birds in Region 6 quarterfinals - Mar. 6, 2014
- Local wrestlers place - Mar. 4, 2014
- Mavericks bounce T-Birds from Region 6 Tournament - Mar. 3, 2014
- Hittle places second at state - Mar. 3, 2014
- CCCC defeats NWKT advances, to quarterfinals - Mar. 3, 2014
- James signs with McPherson - Mar. 3, 2014