Lady T-Birds sweep Colby
COLBY — Good enough in the first half to overcome a sluggish second half, the Cloud County Thunderbirds defeated Colby 70-40 in a Jayhawk Conference Western Division game on Saturday night.
Cloud County limited a Colby team that is winless in Conference to just 10 points in the first half in building a 42-10 lead.
“I thought we were pretty good defensively in the first half,’” Cloud County coach Brett Erkenbrack said, “We were pretty active defensively and had some steals and some easy baskets.”
Colby started to knock down some shots in the second half, and outscored the T-Birds 30-28, to make the final margin 30 points.
“The second half, I was disappointed with our lack of concentration,” Erkenbrack said, “I guess, you have a big lead at halftime sometimes you lose some concentration and intensity. I am sure Colby played better and harder in the second half as well.”
Cloud County swept the regular season series from Colby, and improved to 17-6 overall and 7-2 in the Jayhawk West.
The T-Birds are currently in second place in the Conference behind unbeaten Hutchinson.
The Trojans fell to 6-17 overall and 0-9 in the West.
Freshman Jordyn Alexander led three Cloud County players in double figures with 23 points. She was 9 of 17 from the field and five of nine from the free throw line and also had seven rebounds.
Aleesha Coulter scored 13 points for the T-Birds.
Kamika Mason added 11 points, 14 rebounds and four blocked shots.
“Kamika Mason had a really nice game. She was active on both ends. She was pretty dominant inside rebounding and blocking shots,” Erkenbrack said.
Raneisha Duncan scored eight points for Cloud County.
Pearlrae Thomas finished with five points and 10 rebounds.
Cloud County hit 25 of 68 field goal attempts for 37 percent and 15 of 29 free throws for 52 percent.
Agnese Aramina scored 17 points for Colby.
The Trojans shot just 22 percent (14 of 65) from the floor and made seven of nine free throws for 78 percent.
Cloud County will host Pratt on Wednesday night.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- Grizzlies fight off T-Birds in Region 6 quarterfinals - Mar. 6, 2014
- Local wrestlers place - Mar. 4, 2014
- Mavericks bounce T-Birds from Region 6 Tournament - Mar. 3, 2014
- Hittle places second at state - Mar. 3, 2014
- CCCC defeats NWKT advances, to quarterfinals - Mar. 3, 2014
- James signs with McPherson - Mar. 3, 2014
- Panthers win in overtime over Abilene - Feb. 28, 2014
- Panthers stun Cowgirls - Feb. 28, 2014
- JV boys lose to Abilene - Feb. 28, 2014
- Abilene downs JV girls - Feb. 28, 2014
- T-Birds topple Trojans, earn home playoff game - Feb. 27, 2014
- CCCC knocks off Colby, ties for third in West - Feb. 27, 2014