Lambert runs finishes tenth at state meet
WAMEGO — Katie Lambert saved her best for last.
Lambert, a Concordia High School senior, capped off her career by running a personal best time of 15:55.00 to place 10th in the Class 4A state cross country meet Saturday at Wamego Country Club.
Competing in the state meet for the third straight time, Lambert ran more than 30 seconds faster than her previous best on the Wamego course to capture her first individual state medal.
“Katie ran fantastic. She ran a PR (personal record). Just what you want to happen,” Concordia coach John James said, “She ran smooth. She ran relaxed.”
Concordia had three individual state qualifiers.
Senior Garet Koester competed in the boys’ race.
Junior Courtney Monzon, a two-time state placer, qualified for the girls’ race, but collapsed in the final mile and did not finish the race.
Monzon finished ninth last year and eighth as a freshman, but has been hampered by breathing problems.
“She was running great,” James said.
Koester, who catpured a state medal by placing 14th last year, was just two seconds off his time from a season ago, but ended up 30th in 17:21.10. He has been slowed by an back issue.
“He wasn’t able to practice that well last week because of it. A lot of the kids ahead of him he has beaten all year,” James said.
Josh Hanna, Winfield, won the boys’ race with a time of 15:46.10.
Wamego won a second straight boys’ team title with 69 points.
Mulvane finished second with 74 points and Desoto was third with 92 points.
Topeka Hayden captured the girls’ team title with 69 points. Winfield was second with 92 and Baldwin was third with 106.
Katren Reinbolt, Fort Scott, was the girls’ individual champion with a time of 14:50.20.
CLASS 4A STATE
Wamego 69, Mulvane 74, DeSoto 92, Hugoton 92, Winfield 109, Baldwin 158, Clay Center 174, Ulysses 196, Labette County 240, Ottawa 267, Bonner Springs 296, Iola 299.
1. Hanna, Winfield, 15:46.10; . Vasquez, DeSoto 15:54.70; 3. Bean, Mulvane, 16:03.40; 4. Weaver, Hugoton, 16:09.20; 5. Hartzell, Baldwin, 16:12.20; 6. Sturdy, Clay Center, 16:19.20; 7. Routh, Wamego, 16:24.80; 8. Wallace, Andale, 16:25.70; 9. Osen, Winfield, 16:33.50; 10. Martin, Hugoton, 16:48.40; 11. Spotts, Mulvane, 16:50.00; 12. Kromminga, Winfield, 16:57.00; 13. Horton, Buhler, 16:57.70; 14. Murillo, DeSoto, 16:58.909; 15. Trooien-Smith, Mulvane, 17:00.60; 16. Weber, Rose Hill, 17:01.90; 17. Borger, Wamego, 17:02.90; 18. Patton, Wamego, 17:03.40; 19. T. Butler, Wamego, 17:05.30; 20. C. Butler, Wamego, 17:05.70.
Topeka Hayden 69, Winfield 92, Baldwin 106, Wichita Trinity 120, Paola 134, DeSoto 134, Rose Hill 144, Wamego 187, Clay Center 232, Ulysses 236, Pratt 259, Anderson County 270.
1. Reinbolt, Fort Scott, 14:50.20; 2. White, Baxter Springs, 15:28.409; 3. Heddin, Hesston, 15:40.80; 4. Franklin, Hayden, 15:42.50; 5. Finley, Hayden, 15:49.10; 6. Branscum, Ulysses, 15:52.60; 7. Romine, Pratt, 15:53.90; 8. Pollock, Winfield, 15:54.00; 9. Terrell, Rose Hill, 15:54.20; 10. Lambert, Concordia, 15:55.00; 11. Wolfe, DeSoto, 15:58.10; 12. Doyle, Hayden, 16:01.60; 13. Mijares, Wichita Trinity, 16:05.30; 14. Burgweger, DeSoto, 16:05.80; 15. Seufert, Wamego, 16:06.30; 16. Dick, Baldwin, 16:07.00; 17. Phillips, Wichita Trinity, 16:08.00; 18. Siruta, Goodland, 16:09.50; 19. Wingett, Winfield, 16:09.80; 20. Wright, Paola, 16:10.10.
SALINA – Kylie Trobee scored three runs and drove in four in the Cloud County Community College softball team's 18-0 win over Brown Mackie here yesterday. The win completed a doubleheader sweep; the T-Birds won game one 13-0. Cloud County got started early in the finale... [More]
ABILENE – The Concordia High School golf team led by Grant Holmes finished third in the Abilene Invitational on Tuesday. The Panthers finished with a team score of 336 and finished behind Wamego (322) and Abilene (327). Holmes shot 81 and finished in sixth place. Marcus... [More]
- Rimrodt wins Abilene tournament
- CJHS track team compete in Beloit
- Swanson, Wallace record first-place finishes
- Panthers split doubleheader with Sacred Heart
- CHS softball gets first win of season
- JV softball gets one win
- Two ConKids wrestlers place first
- Wrestling club has six place in state tournament
Police Dept. Report Damage to property—Darci J. Elliott, Concordia, reported Damage to Property at 7:35 a.m., April 22. Damage occurred sometime in the last 48 hours in the 400 block of West 16th St. Fire Dept./EMS Report At 9:12 p.m., Tuesday, Medic-5 responded to the... [More]
By Sharon Coy Blade Staff Writer When Susan Sutton, Cloud County Community College Dean of Humanities, was a student at CCCC a seed for her love of the theatre was planted. Although she had never taken part in plays in high school and her only drama experience had... [More]
Whereas, Cloud County Community College, The Brown Grand Theatre, the National Orphan Train Complex and many other organizations and causes have benefited immeasurably from the dedication and skill of Susan Sutton; and Whereas, Susan Sutton has for 39 years enlivened the... [More]
Dear Editor, Questions that need answers? 1. Why should we sign up for the Special Civility Pledge? 2. Isn't the “Bill of Rights” still acceptable? 3. Aren't the Ten Commandments still taught? 4. What happened to the... [More]