Lambert runs finishes tenth at state meet
WAMEGO — Katie Lambert saved her best for last.
Lambert, a Concordia High School senior, capped off her career by running a personal best time of 15:55.00 to place 10th in the Class 4A state cross country meet Saturday at Wamego Country Club.
Competing in the state meet for the third straight time, Lambert ran more than 30 seconds faster than her previous best on the Wamego course to capture her first individual state medal.
“Katie ran fantastic. She ran a PR (personal record). Just what you want to happen,” Concordia coach John James said, “She ran smooth. She ran relaxed.”
Concordia had three individual state qualifiers.
Senior Garet Koester competed in the boys’ race.
Junior Courtney Monzon, a two-time state placer, qualified for the girls’ race, but collapsed in the final mile and did not finish the race.
Monzon finished ninth last year and eighth as a freshman, but has been hampered by breathing problems.
“She was running great,” James said.
Koester, who catpured a state medal by placing 14th last year, was just two seconds off his time from a season ago, but ended up 30th in 17:21.10. He has been slowed by an back issue.
“He wasn’t able to practice that well last week because of it. A lot of the kids ahead of him he has beaten all year,” James said.
Josh Hanna, Winfield, won the boys’ race with a time of 15:46.10.
Wamego won a second straight boys’ team title with 69 points.
Mulvane finished second with 74 points and Desoto was third with 92 points.
Topeka Hayden captured the girls’ team title with 69 points. Winfield was second with 92 and Baldwin was third with 106.
Katren Reinbolt, Fort Scott, was the girls’ individual champion with a time of 14:50.20.
CLASS 4A STATE
Wamego 69, Mulvane 74, DeSoto 92, Hugoton 92, Winfield 109, Baldwin 158, Clay Center 174, Ulysses 196, Labette County 240, Ottawa 267, Bonner Springs 296, Iola 299.
1. Hanna, Winfield, 15:46.10; . Vasquez, DeSoto 15:54.70; 3. Bean, Mulvane, 16:03.40; 4. Weaver, Hugoton, 16:09.20; 5. Hartzell, Baldwin, 16:12.20; 6. Sturdy, Clay Center, 16:19.20; 7. Routh, Wamego, 16:24.80; 8. Wallace, Andale, 16:25.70; 9. Osen, Winfield, 16:33.50; 10. Martin, Hugoton, 16:48.40; 11. Spotts, Mulvane, 16:50.00; 12. Kromminga, Winfield, 16:57.00; 13. Horton, Buhler, 16:57.70; 14. Murillo, DeSoto, 16:58.909; 15. Trooien-Smith, Mulvane, 17:00.60; 16. Weber, Rose Hill, 17:01.90; 17. Borger, Wamego, 17:02.90; 18. Patton, Wamego, 17:03.40; 19. T. Butler, Wamego, 17:05.30; 20. C. Butler, Wamego, 17:05.70.
Topeka Hayden 69, Winfield 92, Baldwin 106, Wichita Trinity 120, Paola 134, DeSoto 134, Rose Hill 144, Wamego 187, Clay Center 232, Ulysses 236, Pratt 259, Anderson County 270.
1. Reinbolt, Fort Scott, 14:50.20; 2. White, Baxter Springs, 15:28.409; 3. Heddin, Hesston, 15:40.80; 4. Franklin, Hayden, 15:42.50; 5. Finley, Hayden, 15:49.10; 6. Branscum, Ulysses, 15:52.60; 7. Romine, Pratt, 15:53.90; 8. Pollock, Winfield, 15:54.00; 9. Terrell, Rose Hill, 15:54.20; 10. Lambert, Concordia, 15:55.00; 11. Wolfe, DeSoto, 15:58.10; 12. Doyle, Hayden, 16:01.60; 13. Mijares, Wichita Trinity, 16:05.30; 14. Burgweger, DeSoto, 16:05.80; 15. Seufert, Wamego, 16:06.30; 16. Dick, Baldwin, 16:07.00; 17. Phillips, Wichita Trinity, 16:08.00; 18. Siruta, Goodland, 16:09.50; 19. Wingett, Winfield, 16:09.80; 20. Wright, Paola, 16:10.10.
The Cloud County Community College baseball team split a Jayhawk Conference Western Division doubleheader with Pratt Tuesday at the Concordia Sports Complex. Cloud County won the first game, 4-1. Pratt outslugged the Thunderbirds 13-12 in the second game. Jesse Rall limited... [More]
ELLSWORTH — Megan James, Molly Adams and Maggie Lambert recorded first-place finishes to help the Concordia Panthers to a fourth-place finish in the Ellsworth Invitational track and field meet Tuesday. James won the pole vault by clearing 9-0. She also placed sixth... [More]
- Swanson, Wallace record first-place finishes
- Panthers split doubleheader with Sacred Heart
- CHS softball gets first win of season
- JV softball gets one win
- Two ConKids wrestlers place first
- Wrestling club has six place in state tournament
- Wrestling club has six place in state tournament
- Broncbusters sweep series from T-Birds
Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack announced Tuesday that starting April 15, eligible farmers and ranchers can sign up for U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) disaster assistance programs restored by passage of the 2014 Farm Bill. "We implemented these programs in... [More]
Sheriff's Dept. Report Arrests—Deputies arrested Mark Fraser, Concordia, April 15, charging him with Burglary, Criminal Damage to Property, Theft and Trespassing. Fraser was transported to Cloud County Corrections. Deputies arrested Eric Johnson, Concordia, April 15, charging... [More]
The Annual Heart Choices Spring Banquet will be May 1 at the Nazareth Motherhouse, 13th and Washington, in Concordia. Doors will open at 6:30 p.m. and the meal will begin at 7 p.m. followed by a program which will highlight activities and events that have taken place throughout... [More]
Dear Editor, Subject: Blowing out the candle Abortion blows out the candle of the future. Everyone with a mind and a conscience knows this. President Lincoln's words on the slavery issue apply. “I couldn't deny to someone else what I myself desire,... [More]