Lambert runs finishes tenth at state meet
WAMEGO — Katie Lambert saved her best for last.
Lambert, a Concordia High School senior, capped off her career by running a personal best time of 15:55.00 to place 10th in the Class 4A state cross country meet Saturday at Wamego Country Club.
Competing in the state meet for the third straight time, Lambert ran more than 30 seconds faster than her previous best on the Wamego course to capture her first individual state medal.
“Katie ran fantastic. She ran a PR (personal record). Just what you want to happen,” Concordia coach John James said, “She ran smooth. She ran relaxed.”
Concordia had three individual state qualifiers.
Senior Garet Koester competed in the boys’ race.
Junior Courtney Monzon, a two-time state placer, qualified for the girls’ race, but collapsed in the final mile and did not finish the race.
Monzon finished ninth last year and eighth as a freshman, but has been hampered by breathing problems.
“She was running great,” James said.
Koester, who catpured a state medal by placing 14th last year, was just two seconds off his time from a season ago, but ended up 30th in 17:21.10. He has been slowed by an back issue.
“He wasn’t able to practice that well last week because of it. A lot of the kids ahead of him he has beaten all year,” James said.
Josh Hanna, Winfield, won the boys’ race with a time of 15:46.10.
Wamego won a second straight boys’ team title with 69 points.
Mulvane finished second with 74 points and Desoto was third with 92 points.
Topeka Hayden captured the girls’ team title with 69 points. Winfield was second with 92 and Baldwin was third with 106.
Katren Reinbolt, Fort Scott, was the girls’ individual champion with a time of 14:50.20.
CLASS 4A STATE
Wamego 69, Mulvane 74, DeSoto 92, Hugoton 92, Winfield 109, Baldwin 158, Clay Center 174, Ulysses 196, Labette County 240, Ottawa 267, Bonner Springs 296, Iola 299.
1. Hanna, Winfield, 15:46.10; . Vasquez, DeSoto 15:54.70; 3. Bean, Mulvane, 16:03.40; 4. Weaver, Hugoton, 16:09.20; 5. Hartzell, Baldwin, 16:12.20; 6. Sturdy, Clay Center, 16:19.20; 7. Routh, Wamego, 16:24.80; 8. Wallace, Andale, 16:25.70; 9. Osen, Winfield, 16:33.50; 10. Martin, Hugoton, 16:48.40; 11. Spotts, Mulvane, 16:50.00; 12. Kromminga, Winfield, 16:57.00; 13. Horton, Buhler, 16:57.70; 14. Murillo, DeSoto, 16:58.909; 15. Trooien-Smith, Mulvane, 17:00.60; 16. Weber, Rose Hill, 17:01.90; 17. Borger, Wamego, 17:02.90; 18. Patton, Wamego, 17:03.40; 19. T. Butler, Wamego, 17:05.30; 20. C. Butler, Wamego, 17:05.70.
Topeka Hayden 69, Winfield 92, Baldwin 106, Wichita Trinity 120, Paola 134, DeSoto 134, Rose Hill 144, Wamego 187, Clay Center 232, Ulysses 236, Pratt 259, Anderson County 270.
1. Reinbolt, Fort Scott, 14:50.20; 2. White, Baxter Springs, 15:28.409; 3. Heddin, Hesston, 15:40.80; 4. Franklin, Hayden, 15:42.50; 5. Finley, Hayden, 15:49.10; 6. Branscum, Ulysses, 15:52.60; 7. Romine, Pratt, 15:53.90; 8. Pollock, Winfield, 15:54.00; 9. Terrell, Rose Hill, 15:54.20; 10. Lambert, Concordia, 15:55.00; 11. Wolfe, DeSoto, 15:58.10; 12. Doyle, Hayden, 16:01.60; 13. Mijares, Wichita Trinity, 16:05.30; 14. Burgweger, DeSoto, 16:05.80; 15. Seufert, Wamego, 16:06.30; 16. Dick, Baldwin, 16:07.00; 17. Phillips, Wichita Trinity, 16:08.00; 18. Siruta, Goodland, 16:09.50; 19. Wingett, Winfield, 16:09.80; 20. Wright, Paola, 16:10.10.
OSBORNE — Avenging its only loss of the season, Citizens National Bank thumped Washington County 9-1 in the championship game of the K-18 Baseball East Regional on Saturday night. Washington County had beaten Citizens National Bank in the title game of the league tournament... [More]
Four junior golfers from Concordia recorded first-place finishes in the league competition. Two tournaments were played in Concordia, and one in Clay Center. The low scores were counted. Brennen Acree, Concordia, placed first in the high school boys' division... [More]
- Blues rally to complete sweep of Plainville
- Concordia Lions beat Knights of Columbus
- Concordia Swim Team competes in Clay Center
- Cloud County Co-op tops American Legion
- Concordia Swim Team hosts meet
- CCCC has three claim national titles
- CHS first in JV league tournament
- CHS golfers place at Marysville
District Court CRIMINAL: Jason Charles Ryals appeared July 21 and was found Guilty and convicted of Driving While License Suspended. He was sentenced to 30 days in the Cloud County Jail and ordered to pay a fine of $100, a BIDS Administrative fee of $100 and the costs of this... [More]
Sales tax and compensating use tax received in Cloud County in June (May sales) of this year was up from the amount received in 2013. JoDee LeDuc, Cloud County treasurer, reported at Monday's county commission meeting that the amount received in June was $61,764.02, compared... [More]
Police Dept. Report Accident—Officers investigated a two vehicle Accident at 11:10 a.m., July 18, in the 400 block of West 10th St. involving vehicles driven by James Kearns, Belleville, and Carl Jackson, Concordia. Damage to property—Savannah A. Brockelman,... [More]
National Night Out: Your chance to share stories, meet your neighbors By Patrick Sieben It's that time of year once again. The lightning bugs are flitting about, the humidity is doing its thing to curl even the straightest hair and once again our community will be celebrating... [More]