Lambert runs finishes tenth at state meet
WAMEGO — Katie Lambert saved her best for last.
Lambert, a Concordia High School senior, capped off her career by running a personal best time of 15:55.00 to place 10th in the Class 4A state cross country meet Saturday at Wamego Country Club.
Competing in the state meet for the third straight time, Lambert ran more than 30 seconds faster than her previous best on the Wamego course to capture her first individual state medal.
“Katie ran fantastic. She ran a PR (personal record). Just what you want to happen,” Concordia coach John James said, “She ran smooth. She ran relaxed.”
Concordia had three individual state qualifiers.
Senior Garet Koester competed in the boys’ race.
Junior Courtney Monzon, a two-time state placer, qualified for the girls’ race, but collapsed in the final mile and did not finish the race.
Monzon finished ninth last year and eighth as a freshman, but has been hampered by breathing problems.
“She was running great,” James said.
Koester, who catpured a state medal by placing 14th last year, was just two seconds off his time from a season ago, but ended up 30th in 17:21.10. He has been slowed by an back issue.
“He wasn’t able to practice that well last week because of it. A lot of the kids ahead of him he has beaten all year,” James said.
Josh Hanna, Winfield, won the boys’ race with a time of 15:46.10.
Wamego won a second straight boys’ team title with 69 points.
Mulvane finished second with 74 points and Desoto was third with 92 points.
Topeka Hayden captured the girls’ team title with 69 points. Winfield was second with 92 and Baldwin was third with 106.
Katren Reinbolt, Fort Scott, was the girls’ individual champion with a time of 14:50.20.
CLASS 4A STATE
Wamego 69, Mulvane 74, DeSoto 92, Hugoton 92, Winfield 109, Baldwin 158, Clay Center 174, Ulysses 196, Labette County 240, Ottawa 267, Bonner Springs 296, Iola 299.
1. Hanna, Winfield, 15:46.10; . Vasquez, DeSoto 15:54.70; 3. Bean, Mulvane, 16:03.40; 4. Weaver, Hugoton, 16:09.20; 5. Hartzell, Baldwin, 16:12.20; 6. Sturdy, Clay Center, 16:19.20; 7. Routh, Wamego, 16:24.80; 8. Wallace, Andale, 16:25.70; 9. Osen, Winfield, 16:33.50; 10. Martin, Hugoton, 16:48.40; 11. Spotts, Mulvane, 16:50.00; 12. Kromminga, Winfield, 16:57.00; 13. Horton, Buhler, 16:57.70; 14. Murillo, DeSoto, 16:58.909; 15. Trooien-Smith, Mulvane, 17:00.60; 16. Weber, Rose Hill, 17:01.90; 17. Borger, Wamego, 17:02.90; 18. Patton, Wamego, 17:03.40; 19. T. Butler, Wamego, 17:05.30; 20. C. Butler, Wamego, 17:05.70.
Topeka Hayden 69, Winfield 92, Baldwin 106, Wichita Trinity 120, Paola 134, DeSoto 134, Rose Hill 144, Wamego 187, Clay Center 232, Ulysses 236, Pratt 259, Anderson County 270.
1. Reinbolt, Fort Scott, 14:50.20; 2. White, Baxter Springs, 15:28.409; 3. Heddin, Hesston, 15:40.80; 4. Franklin, Hayden, 15:42.50; 5. Finley, Hayden, 15:49.10; 6. Branscum, Ulysses, 15:52.60; 7. Romine, Pratt, 15:53.90; 8. Pollock, Winfield, 15:54.00; 9. Terrell, Rose Hill, 15:54.20; 10. Lambert, Concordia, 15:55.00; 11. Wolfe, DeSoto, 15:58.10; 12. Doyle, Hayden, 16:01.60; 13. Mijares, Wichita Trinity, 16:05.30; 14. Burgweger, DeSoto, 16:05.80; 15. Seufert, Wamego, 16:06.30; 16. Dick, Baldwin, 16:07.00; 17. Phillips, Wichita Trinity, 16:08.00; 18. Siruta, Goodland, 16:09.50; 19. Wingett, Winfield, 16:09.80; 20. Wright, Paola, 16:10.10.
LINCOLN — Outscoring its opponents in the semifinal game and championship game by a combined 20-1, the Concordia Blues qualified for the Kansas American Legion Baseball Class AA State Tournament. Concordia shut out Lincoln 11-0 in the semifinal game of the Class AA Zone... [More]
LUCAS — Concordia Citizens National Bank advanced to the championship game of the K-18 Baseball State Tournament by defeating Ellis 5-2 in the semifinals on Sunday. Citizens National Bank will play Norton in the title game Tuesday night. Norton got past Washington County... [More]
- Blues rally to complete sweep of Plainville
- Concordia Lions beat Knights of Columbus
- Concordia Swim Team competes in Clay Center
- Cloud County Co-op tops American Legion
- Concordia Swim Team hosts meet
- CCCC has three claim national titles
- CHS first in JV league tournament
- CHS golfers place at Marysville
District Court CRIMINAL Brian Lyn Quang Ngo appeared July 25 and was found Guilty and convicted of Criminal Trespass and Criminal Damage to Property. For the criminal damage to property offense, he was sentenced to six months in the Cloud County Jail and ordered to pay costs... [More]
Fire Dept./EMS Report At 10:17 a.m., Thursday, Medic-5, Truck-2 responded to the 1900 block of Broadway for a medical call and transported one patient to Cloud County Health Center. At 1:40 p.m., Thursday, Engine-1, Truck-1 responded to the 1500 block of Lincoln for smoke investigation.... [More]
District Court CRIMINAL Ty Bobby Kolterman appeared July 24 and was found Guilty and convicted of Disorderly Conduct. He was ordered to pay a fine of $50 and costs of the action, $158 forthwith. Catherine A. Hand appeared July 24 and was found Guilty and convicted of No Driver's... [More]
Last week's rerun of GOD'S WINGS started a series of meditations for me. One of the most difficult was my seeking to answer the question, Would I be willing to lay down my life for another? When the chips were down, would I, like the mother bird, remain steadfast or would... [More]
In today’s fast-paced society, we’re often “too busy” to inquire and learn about different political points of view. Those who vote need to familiarize themselves with the positions of every candidate. Too often, we simply vote along party... [More]