Lambert runs finishes tenth at state meet
WAMEGO — Katie Lambert saved her best for last.
Lambert, a Concordia High School senior, capped off her career by running a personal best time of 15:55.00 to place 10th in the Class 4A state cross country meet Saturday at Wamego Country Club.
Competing in the state meet for the third straight time, Lambert ran more than 30 seconds faster than her previous best on the Wamego course to capture her first individual state medal.
“Katie ran fantastic. She ran a PR (personal record). Just what you want to happen,” Concordia coach John James said, “She ran smooth. She ran relaxed.”
Concordia had three individual state qualifiers.
Senior Garet Koester competed in the boys’ race.
Junior Courtney Monzon, a two-time state placer, qualified for the girls’ race, but collapsed in the final mile and did not finish the race.
Monzon finished ninth last year and eighth as a freshman, but has been hampered by breathing problems.
“She was running great,” James said.
Koester, who catpured a state medal by placing 14th last year, was just two seconds off his time from a season ago, but ended up 30th in 17:21.10. He has been slowed by an back issue.
“He wasn’t able to practice that well last week because of it. A lot of the kids ahead of him he has beaten all year,” James said.
Josh Hanna, Winfield, won the boys’ race with a time of 15:46.10.
Wamego won a second straight boys’ team title with 69 points.
Mulvane finished second with 74 points and Desoto was third with 92 points.
Topeka Hayden captured the girls’ team title with 69 points. Winfield was second with 92 and Baldwin was third with 106.
Katren Reinbolt, Fort Scott, was the girls’ individual champion with a time of 14:50.20.
CLASS 4A STATE
Wamego 69, Mulvane 74, DeSoto 92, Hugoton 92, Winfield 109, Baldwin 158, Clay Center 174, Ulysses 196, Labette County 240, Ottawa 267, Bonner Springs 296, Iola 299.
1. Hanna, Winfield, 15:46.10; . Vasquez, DeSoto 15:54.70; 3. Bean, Mulvane, 16:03.40; 4. Weaver, Hugoton, 16:09.20; 5. Hartzell, Baldwin, 16:12.20; 6. Sturdy, Clay Center, 16:19.20; 7. Routh, Wamego, 16:24.80; 8. Wallace, Andale, 16:25.70; 9. Osen, Winfield, 16:33.50; 10. Martin, Hugoton, 16:48.40; 11. Spotts, Mulvane, 16:50.00; 12. Kromminga, Winfield, 16:57.00; 13. Horton, Buhler, 16:57.70; 14. Murillo, DeSoto, 16:58.909; 15. Trooien-Smith, Mulvane, 17:00.60; 16. Weber, Rose Hill, 17:01.90; 17. Borger, Wamego, 17:02.90; 18. Patton, Wamego, 17:03.40; 19. T. Butler, Wamego, 17:05.30; 20. C. Butler, Wamego, 17:05.70.
Topeka Hayden 69, Winfield 92, Baldwin 106, Wichita Trinity 120, Paola 134, DeSoto 134, Rose Hill 144, Wamego 187, Clay Center 232, Ulysses 236, Pratt 259, Anderson County 270.
1. Reinbolt, Fort Scott, 14:50.20; 2. White, Baxter Springs, 15:28.409; 3. Heddin, Hesston, 15:40.80; 4. Franklin, Hayden, 15:42.50; 5. Finley, Hayden, 15:49.10; 6. Branscum, Ulysses, 15:52.60; 7. Romine, Pratt, 15:53.90; 8. Pollock, Winfield, 15:54.00; 9. Terrell, Rose Hill, 15:54.20; 10. Lambert, Concordia, 15:55.00; 11. Wolfe, DeSoto, 15:58.10; 12. Doyle, Hayden, 16:01.60; 13. Mijares, Wichita Trinity, 16:05.30; 14. Burgweger, DeSoto, 16:05.80; 15. Seufert, Wamego, 16:06.30; 16. Dick, Baldwin, 16:07.00; 17. Phillips, Wichita Trinity, 16:08.00; 18. Siruta, Goodland, 16:09.50; 19. Wingett, Winfield, 16:09.80; 20. Wright, Paola, 16:10.10.
Last week, Cloud County Community College lost one of a kind with the death of its first head basketball coach Larry Forsythe. Forsythe coached the Thunderbirds from 1966 through 1975, compiling a record of 167 wins and 99 losses. His teams never finished lower... [More]
GARDEN CITY — The Cloud County Community College volleyball team opened the Jayhawk Conference Western Division season with a 3-1 loss to Garden City Community College. Garden City rolled to a 25-15 victory in the first set of the match. Cloud County, now 3-2 overall, evened... [More]
- T-Birds go 3-1 in Southeast tournament
- Blues suffer consecutive losses in state tournament
- Blues win in first round of state tournament
- Blues rally to complete sweep of Plainville
- Concordia Lions beat Knights of Columbus
- Concordia Swim Team competes in Clay Center
- Cloud County Co-op tops American Legion
- Concordia Swim Team hosts meet
Officers arrested a 27-year-old Concordia man Thursday evening, charging him with attempted second degree murder. According to Cloud County Attorney Rob Walsh, Jesus Reyes was arrested after an investigation into life-threatening injuries sustained by a 16-month-old... [More]
District Court CRIMINAL Joseph Leroy Tholstrup appeared Aug. 28 and was found Guilty and Convicted of Disorderly Conduct. He was sentenced to 30 days in the Cloud County Jail, ordered to pay costs of the action, $158, attorney fees of $100 and a fine of $200 by Sept. 3.... [More]
Fire Dept./EMS Report At 6:28 p.m., Thursday, Medic-2 went to Cloud County Health Center for a long distance transfer of an 18-month-old to Salina Regional Health Center. At 1:42 a.m., Friday, Medic-5 went to the 1800 block of Broadway and transported a 53-year-old male to Cloud... [More]
Talking about THINGS . . . Jo Reed, the Salina Journal Jo Reed, recently wrote thoughts related to those uppermost in my mind for lo, these many years. If we were acquainted, I would try to persuade her to come stay all day, so we could interrupt each other... [More]
Dear Editor, Another Relay for Life has come and gone. It was in hopes that the time change this year was going to be a good thing, but with the weather conditions turning from lightning and then rain it was an evening that was cut short. The Relay Committee... [More]