Monzon leads Panthers to fourth–place finish
CLAY CENTER — Courtney Monzon placed eighth individually to lead the Concordia High School girls’ cross country team to a fourth-place finish in the Clay Center Invitational Thursday at Clay Center Country Club.
Monzon turned in a time of 17:39.40.
Concordia finished with 98 team points.
Clay Center won the meet with 72 points. Southeast of Saline was second with 80 points and Sacred Heart was third with 91.
The Concordia boys finished 10th with 218 points.
Wamego claimed the boys’ team title with 34 points. Clay Center was second with 84 and Sacred Heart was third with 114.
The Concordia girls had Hunter Mendenhall place 23rd in 18:20.45.
Maggie Lambert ran 18:25.80 to finish 24th.
Olivia Leif crossed in 25th place in 18:34.00.
Mallory Thompson placed 27th for the Panthers in 18:37.69.
Tori Reed was 28th for Concordia in 18:38.37.
Katie Thompson was 45th for the Panthers in 20:03.38.
Allison Seufert, Wamego, won the race in 16:50.37.
The Concordia boys were led by Isaac Sprague, who placed 16th with a time of 19:04.63.
Cody Schmitz finished 45th for the Panthers in 21:03.77.
Devin Kyler ran 21:19.78 to place 52nd.
Marcel Rimrodt placed 54th in 21:34.63.
Josh Timme finished 60th in 22:04.43.
Connor Reynolds was 67th in 23:22.00 and Ben Strommen was 70th in 27:39.71.
Blake Dodson, Riley County, ran 17:40.72 to win the race.
Concordia’s Kirstyn Dvorak finished 14th in the girls’ junior varsity race in 23:43.63.
Jackelin Garcia finished 23rd in 26:02.39.
Concordia had Gavin Shuler finish 35th in the boys’ junior varsity race in 24:18.38.
CLAY CENTER INVITATIONAL
Wamego 34, Clay Center 84, Sacred Heart 114, Abilene 115, Riley County 131, Southeast of Saline 139, Chapman 192, Smoky Valley 206, Minneapolis 208, Concordia 218.
Top 10 Individuals
1. Dodson, Riley County, 17:40.72; 2. Sandquist, Sacred Heart, 18:08.74; 3. Siebold, Clay Center, 18:11.55; 4. Smith, Marysville, 18:12.96; 5. Davis, Wamego, 18:22.87; 6. Scherer, Wamego, 18:33.14; 7. Schwarting, Abilene, 18:40.53; 8. Bates, Wamego, 18:47.52; 9. Chrest, Wamego, 18:48.57; 10. Brown, Sacred Heart, 18:49.77.
Clay Center 72, Southeast of Saline 80, Sacred Heart 91, Concordia 98, Wamego 98, Riley County 151, Minneapolis 157, Smoky Valley 178, Abilene 216.
Top 10 Individuals
1. Seufert, Wamego, 16:50.37; 2. Stutterheim, Southeast of Saline, 17:11.98; 3. Pettay, Wamego, 17:18.77; 4. Alstrom, Marysville, 17:21.92; 5. Kipfer, Clay Center, 17:23.51; 6. Elmore, Sacred Heart, 17:26.10; 7. Achterberg, Minneapolis, 17:30.43; 8. Monzon, Concordia, 17:39.40; 9. Silvia, Riley County, 17:41.51; 10. Collins, Riley County, 17:44.91.
The Knights of Columbus posted a 7-4 win over Concordia Chevrolet/Buick in Peewee Baseball play Tuesday night at the Concordia Sports Complex. Scoring two runs in the first inning, the Knights of Columbus never trailed in the game. The Knights of Columbus tacked on one... [More]
ULYSSES — Making a third straight appearance in the Class 4A state golf tournament, Concordia High School junior Brennen Acree collected his first state medal. Acree shot an 80 to finish in a six-way tie for 20th place in the state tournament Monday at Brentwood Golf Club.... [More]
- Trost named outstanding senior
- Acree places fifth at regional tourney, qualifies for state
- Abilene hands CHS pair of league losses
- Campbell breaks CCCC discus record
- CGC gymnasts compete in District Championship Meet
- CHS golf team places sixth
- T-Birds’ season ends with losses to Allen
- CCCC suffers pair of one run losses
Police Dept. Report Arrest—At 2:05 p.m., May 26, officers conducted a traffic stop in the 1300 block of Lincoln which led to the arrest of Dale Baumbach, 62, Concordia, for no seat belt and interference with a law enforcement officer. He was cited and released. ... [More]
Police Dept. Report Accident—Officers investigated an accident at 11:55 p.m., May 25, which had occurred in the 1400 block of Country Club Drive involving a vehicle driven by Logan Higbee, Concordia, and property owned by Kelsey Abitz, also of Concordia. Sheriff's Dept.... [More]
The Cloud County Community College Board of Trustees reconvened Tuesday night at 7 p.m. for their monthly meeting, after spending a great deal of their afternoon discussing the 2016-2017 budget for the college. After several back-and-forth discussions and meetings, the... [More]
“The Walk” . . . Not so long ago, every country music star probably had “Time Changes Everything” stashed somewhere in his repertoire. It came to mind recently when I attended the high school graduation of my granddaughter in Olathe. When... [More]
Dear Editor, Last week, Gov. Sam Brownback announced his solution to the state’s budget problem, which includes significant cuts in KanCare, the state’s Medicaid program. There has been a flurry of inaccurate or incomplete information, and we need to set the... [More]