Monzon leads Panthers to fourth–place finish
CLAY CENTER — Courtney Monzon placed eighth individually to lead the Concordia High School girls’ cross country team to a fourth-place finish in the Clay Center Invitational Thursday at Clay Center Country Club.
Monzon turned in a time of 17:39.40.
Concordia finished with 98 team points.
Clay Center won the meet with 72 points. Southeast of Saline was second with 80 points and Sacred Heart was third with 91.
The Concordia boys finished 10th with 218 points.
Wamego claimed the boys’ team title with 34 points. Clay Center was second with 84 and Sacred Heart was third with 114.
The Concordia girls had Hunter Mendenhall place 23rd in 18:20.45.
Maggie Lambert ran 18:25.80 to finish 24th.
Olivia Leif crossed in 25th place in 18:34.00.
Mallory Thompson placed 27th for the Panthers in 18:37.69.
Tori Reed was 28th for Concordia in 18:38.37.
Katie Thompson was 45th for the Panthers in 20:03.38.
Allison Seufert, Wamego, won the race in 16:50.37.
The Concordia boys were led by Isaac Sprague, who placed 16th with a time of 19:04.63.
Cody Schmitz finished 45th for the Panthers in 21:03.77.
Devin Kyler ran 21:19.78 to place 52nd.
Marcel Rimrodt placed 54th in 21:34.63.
Josh Timme finished 60th in 22:04.43.
Connor Reynolds was 67th in 23:22.00 and Ben Strommen was 70th in 27:39.71.
Blake Dodson, Riley County, ran 17:40.72 to win the race.
Concordia’s Kirstyn Dvorak finished 14th in the girls’ junior varsity race in 23:43.63.
Jackelin Garcia finished 23rd in 26:02.39.
Concordia had Gavin Shuler finish 35th in the boys’ junior varsity race in 24:18.38.
CLAY CENTER INVITATIONAL
Wamego 34, Clay Center 84, Sacred Heart 114, Abilene 115, Riley County 131, Southeast of Saline 139, Chapman 192, Smoky Valley 206, Minneapolis 208, Concordia 218.
Top 10 Individuals
1. Dodson, Riley County, 17:40.72; 2. Sandquist, Sacred Heart, 18:08.74; 3. Siebold, Clay Center, 18:11.55; 4. Smith, Marysville, 18:12.96; 5. Davis, Wamego, 18:22.87; 6. Scherer, Wamego, 18:33.14; 7. Schwarting, Abilene, 18:40.53; 8. Bates, Wamego, 18:47.52; 9. Chrest, Wamego, 18:48.57; 10. Brown, Sacred Heart, 18:49.77.
Clay Center 72, Southeast of Saline 80, Sacred Heart 91, Concordia 98, Wamego 98, Riley County 151, Minneapolis 157, Smoky Valley 178, Abilene 216.
Top 10 Individuals
1. Seufert, Wamego, 16:50.37; 2. Stutterheim, Southeast of Saline, 17:11.98; 3. Pettay, Wamego, 17:18.77; 4. Alstrom, Marysville, 17:21.92; 5. Kipfer, Clay Center, 17:23.51; 6. Elmore, Sacred Heart, 17:26.10; 7. Achterberg, Minneapolis, 17:30.43; 8. Monzon, Concordia, 17:39.40; 9. Silvia, Riley County, 17:41.51; 10. Collins, Riley County, 17:44.91.
Beloit scored a run in the top of the ninth inning to squeeze out a 3-2 and complete a sweep of the Concordia Blues in an American Legion Baseball doubleheader Wednesday night at the Concordia Sports Complex. The game was tied at 2-2 through seven innings of play.... [More]
Citizens National Bank gave up just two runs in beating F&A Food Sales twice in a K-18 Baseball doubleheader Tuesday night at the Concordia Sports Complex. Billy Bechard tossed a two-hitter as Citizens National Bank won the first game, 8-0. He struck out eight... [More]
- 16th Street Car Wash tops Lions in title game, 13-8
- CNB sweeps Republic County
- Citizens knocks off Clifton-Clyde twice
- Concordia Blues pick up pair of wins over Linn
- 16th Street , Legion post wins
- Concordia Swim Team competes at York
- Leiszler, Miller named All-NCKL
- Lions knock off Knights of Columbus
A great place to buy fireworks since 2002, Kent and Julie Smith's fireworks stand attracts people from all over. Along with a set of regular customers from the area, people from Texas and Nebraska stopped by once and just keep coming back. "Fourth of... [More]
Due to a mechanical breakdown, Thursday's edition of the Blade-Empire will not reach mail subscribers until Monday, July 6. We apologize for the inconvenience.
The Concordia city commission took no action Wednesday night on a bid for the construction of Broadway Plaza. On Tuesday, the city received only one bid for the construction of the Plaza – from Budreau Construction, Clyde – in the amount of $862,300. City... [More]
Youth and horses . . . Since we all are so accustomed to being aware of wars, hunger, hatred and need all over the world, we may tend to become oblivious to the better things in our lives if we but look and think. What clearly brought that into focus was recently... [More]
Peace of mind is clearly an internal matter. It must begin with your own thoughts and then extend outward. It is from your peace of mind that a peaceful perception of the world arises. (A Course in Miracles) Charlie Brown laments, “No matter how I try... [More]