Panthers finish second in quad
The Concordia High School girls’ tennis team finished third in the quadrangular it hosted on Tuesday.
Concordia scored eight points in the meet.
Marysville and Beloit each scored 22 points, and Marysville placed first based on overall winning percentage.
Clay Center was fourth with eight points.
“We didn’t have a great day as a team, but we continue to see things that we can build on,” Concordia coach Steven Mitchell said, “I feel Sara (Hittle) really took a step forward today as she showed a lot more energy and movement on the court. Both she and Julie (Gross) were fun to watch today as they competed well. Rachel (Hasch) and Danielle (Timme) are showing signs of greatness at times, but still have to be focused and ready for league. We are still looking for the right mix at our number two and hopefully we can get it set for the league meet on Saturday.”
Hasch and Timme finished second in number one doubles for the Panthers. They defeated Hannah Fowles and Paige Richardson, Clay Center, 8-2 and Chey Seematter and Allison Ronnebaum, Marysville, 8-3 and lost 8-2 to Emily Brandt and Kellin Palmateer, Beloit.
“Rachel and Danielle started off the day well with a couple of strong victories. In the first-place match against Beloit they never really found their rhythm and the match got away from them before they could make needed adjustments. They both served very well today and put a lot of pressure on their opponents. At times they seemed to lose focus, which is something they will need to improve on to compete at a high level in the league meet,” Mitchell said.
Autumn Zimmerman and Marissa Morgan placed third in number two doubles for the Panthers. they knocked off Emma Girton and Jaden Wilcoxson, Clay Center, 8-2 and then lost 8-6 to Megan Hill and Peyton Price, Marysville, and 8-4 to Aubrey Wichers and Tori Farwell, Beloit.
“We switched our number two doubles around some today and Autumn and Marissa played some really good matches. After beating Clay Center they came up just short against a good Marysville team. They finished with another solid match against Beloit,” Mitchell said.
Hittle finished fourth in number one singles for Concordia. She fell 8-3 to Hannah Callan, Clay Center; 8-1 to Rachel Frese, Marysville; and 8-2 to Amy Clinesmith, Beloit.
“Even though Sara was not able to win a match today she played very well. I am always encouraged when after losing a match a player is still excited about how well she played, and that describes Sara today. Sara’s serves were excellent today and she played a lot of long points and close games. She is still not as consistent as many of the top players, but still is improving,” Mitchell said.
Gross was fourth in number two singles. She lost 8-4 to Chloe Gaug, Clay Center; 8-1 to Madison Williams, Marysville; and 8-4 to Xandra Bouray, Beloit.
“Julie had the opportunity to try singles today and played well. She was not able to get a win, but played two very competitive matches. She picked up the singles strategies well and really did a nice job of moving her opponents today,” Mitchell said.
Concordia will compete in the North Central Kansas League tournament in Chapman on Saturday.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- Late surge pushes Panthers past Buffs - Dec. 11, 2013
- Panthers win second straight - Dec. 11, 2013
- CJHS wrestlers split - Dec. 11, 2013
- Republic County down Panther JV - Dec. 11, 2013
- JV girls lose - Dec. 11, 2013
- Eighth grade falls to Marysville - Dec. 10, 2013
- Marysville handles seventh grade girls - Dec. 10, 2013
- Cloud County scorches Broncos - Dec. 9, 2013
- Trojans pull away from Panthers in opener, 63-48 - Dec. 9, 2013
- T-Birds fall short againsty No. 7 Reivers - Dec. 9, 2013
- Panthers battle past Trojans, 63-61 - Dec. 9, 2013
- CHS wrestlers place sixth at Wamego - Dec. 9, 2013
- Hawks drop T-Birds, 63-60 - Dec. 9, 2013
- CJHS wrestlers go 1-2 - Dec. 9, 2013
- Trojans knock off JV boys - Dec. 9, 2013
- JV girls lose - Dec. 9, 2013
- Two ConKids wrestlers place first - Dec. 9, 2013
- Hawks hold off hard charging T-Birds - Dec. 5, 2013
- Eighth grade girls lose to Sacred Heart - Dec. 4, 2013
- Seventh grade wins 35-4 - Dec. 4, 2013