Panthers win Clay Center Invitational
CLAY CENTER — Sophomore Grant Holmes finished second individually and led the Concordia High School golf team to victories in the two-man and six-man divisions of the Clay Center Invitational golf tournament Thursday at Clay Center Country Club.
Holmes carded rounds of 35-39 to shoot 74 and tie with Brandon Nash, Clay Center, (37-37) for medalist honors.
Nash made a par on the third playoff hole, and Holmes made bogey, and finished second.
Holmes teamed with Tyler Kocher to win the two-man competition with a 157.
Kocher shot 44-39 for an 83.
Clay Center was second in the two-man with a 158. Abilene and Chapman tied for third with 170.
Concordia took first in the six-man competition with a 484. Abilene was second with a 492 and Republic County was third with a 499.
“We had another person step up and lead the team. Grant is starting to come around, and we need him to continue his consistent play,” Concordia coach Emmet Rudolph said.
The Panthers placed third in a tight race for the four-man title with a 327.
Abilene shot 322 to win the four-man, and Republic County was second with a 324.
Connor Lamm, with rounds of 38-39 shot 77 to place sixth individually and lead the Concordia four-man.
“Connor Lamm again shot in the 70s for us. He has definitely been the solid leader for us this year,” Rudolph said
Micah Fabarez shot 39-41 to finish with an 80 for the Panthers.
Kadin Zimmerman finished with an 82. He had rounds of 40-42.
Christian Wetter followed up a 47 with a 41 to finish with 88.
“All six golfers being below 90 is a great stride toward where we want to be at the end of the year. We are not quite there yet. We are definitely competitive as a team,” Rudolph said.
Concordia will play in the Marysville Invitational on Tuesday.
CLAY CENTER INVITATIONAL
Concordia 157, Clay Center 158, Abilene 170, Chapman 170. Republic County 175, Wamego 180, Marysville 274.
Abilene 322, Republic County 324, Concordia 327, Wamego 391, Marysville 415, Clay Center 430, Chapman 480.
Concordia 484, Abilene 492, Republic County 499, Wamego 571, Clay Center 588, Chapman 650, Marysville 689.
1. Nash, Clay Center, 74; 2. Holmes, Clay Center, 74; 3. Porter, Republic County, 75; 4. Cromwell, Republic County, 75; 5. Harms, Abilene, 76; 6. Lamm, Concordia, 77.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- Eighth grade gets win over Republic County - Dec. 13, 2013
- Seventh grade cruises past Republic County - Dec. 13, 2013
- Late surge pushes Panthers past Buffs - Dec. 11, 2013
- Panthers win second straight - Dec. 11, 2013
- CJHS wrestlers split - Dec. 11, 2013
- Republic County down Panther JV - Dec. 11, 2013
- JV girls lose - Dec. 11, 2013
- Eighth grade falls to Marysville - Dec. 10, 2013
- Marysville handles seventh grade girls - Dec. 10, 2013
- Cloud County scorches Broncos - Dec. 9, 2013
- Trojans pull away from Panthers in opener, 63-48 - Dec. 9, 2013
- T-Birds fall short againsty No. 7 Reivers - Dec. 9, 2013
- Panthers battle past Trojans, 63-61 - Dec. 9, 2013
- CHS wrestlers place sixth at Wamego - Dec. 9, 2013
- Hawks drop T-Birds, 63-60 - Dec. 9, 2013
- CJHS wrestlers go 1-2 - Dec. 9, 2013
- Trojans knock off JV boys - Dec. 9, 2013
- JV girls lose - Dec. 9, 2013
- Two ConKids wrestlers place first - Dec. 9, 2013