Sacred Heart sweeps Panthers
SALINA — Sacred Heart used a three-run sixth inning to pull out a 7-4 victory over Concordia in the second game of a softball doubleheader Monday at Bill Burke Park.
The game was tied at 4-4 heading into the bottom of the sixth.
Three runs on five walks and two errors gave Sacred Heart the 7-4 advantage.
Concordia had two aboard with one out in the top of the seventh inning, but Kaylee Erickson struck out consecutive batters to end the game.
Sacred Heart won the first game of the twinbill, 6-0.
The Knights took a 1-0 lead in the first inning in game two when Tracie Thibault walked and scored.
Concordia, now 1-3, put up two runs in the top of the second inning.
Allissa Kearn led off with a double and scored the first run.
Autumn Zimmerman reached base on an error and scored.
Sacred Heart reclaimed the lead at 3-2 with two runs in the third inning.
Two runs in the top of the fifth inning gave the Panthers the lead back at 4-3.
Nikki Blankenbeckley tripled with Tristen Leiszler and Chelsea Martin aboard for the Panthers.
Sacred Heart tied the game at 4-4 with a run in the bottom of the fifth.
The Knights then scored three runs in the sixth to go on top to stay.
Martin took the loss for the shorthanded Panthers. She gave up seven runs on four hits, struck out two and walked eight.
Concordia was missing four starters because of other school obligations.
Erickson got the win for Sacred Heart.
Blankenbeckley had two hits for Concordia.
Hillary Williams shut out the Panthers on one hit in the first game. She struck out 11 and walked one in seven innings.
Blankenbeckley beat out an infield single in the seventh inning for Concordia’s only hit.
Sacred Heart grabbed a 1-0 lead in the first inning.
The Knights made it 3-0 with two runs in the third.
Three runs in the fourth inning put Sacred Heart up 6-0.
Kearn pitched six innings and allowed six runs on five hits in taking the loss. She struck out six and walked one.
Concordia will play a North Central Kansas League doubleheader at Chapman on Friday.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- Eleven Concordia wrestlers finish first - Mar. 11, 2014
- CHS boys down Clay Center 65-49 to earn first trip to state since 1999 - Mar. 10, 2014
- Tigers stun Panthers 48-40 in sub-state title game - Mar. 10, 2014
- T-Birds lose doubleheader at Butler County - Mar. 10, 2014
- Robinson wins national high jump title - Mar. 10, 2014
- Stewart, Alexander named all-conference - Mar. 10, 2014
- Panthers dominate Smoky Valley - Mar. 10, 2014
- T-Birds split with Butler - Mar. 7, 2014
- CHS girls reach sub-state finals - Mar. 7, 2014
- Grizzlies fight off T-Birds in Region 6 quarterfinals - Mar. 6, 2014
- Local wrestlers place - Mar. 4, 2014