Seventh grade wins on buzzer beater
CLAY CENTER — Billy Bechard hit a three-point shot from nearly three-quarter court to give the Concordia seventh grade boys’ basketball team a 35-34 victory over Clay Center Thursday night.
In its final regular season game, Concordia trailed Clay Center by eight points with under two minutes to play.
The Panthers were able to close to within two points, 34-32, in the final seconds.
Clay Center missed on the front end of a one-and-one opportunity, the Panthers pulled down the rebound, and got the ball to Bechard.
Bechard took a few dribbles and then hoisted up the long shot that went in to give Concordia the win.
“On a night they were hitting every thing, and we were out of rhythm, I am proud of their overcoming adversity,” Concordia coach Ryan Mortimer said.
Concordia fell behind 10-4 in the first quarter.
Clay Center scored 11 points in the second period, to nine for the Panthers, and led 21-13 at halftime.
Concordia was outscored 8-7 in the third quarter, and trailed 29-20.
The Panthers limited Clay Center to five points in the final period, and scored 15, including the final three by Bechard.
Bechard led the way for Concordia with 11 points.
Garrett Lawrence scored eight points for the Panthers.
The Concordia B-team was beaten 28-7 by Clay Center.
Matt Davenport scored three points for Concordia.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- T-Birds split with Butler - Mar. 7, 2014
- CHS girls reach sub-state finals - Mar. 7, 2014
- Grizzlies fight off T-Birds in Region 6 quarterfinals - Mar. 6, 2014
- Local wrestlers place - Mar. 4, 2014
- Mavericks bounce T-Birds from Region 6 Tournament - Mar. 3, 2014
- Hittle places second at state - Mar. 3, 2014
- CCCC defeats NWKT advances, to quarterfinals - Mar. 3, 2014
- James signs with McPherson - Mar. 3, 2014