Sluggish Thunderbirds beat Bulldogs
BEATRICE, Neb. — Cloud County overcame a sluggish start to knock off the Concordia (Neb.) University junior varsity 68-46 in the Southeast Community College Classic on Friday afternoon.
Hitting just 8 of 37 field goal attempts for 22 percent, the Thunderbirds led Concordia just 24-15 at halftime.
“We were bad on Friday, especially in the first half,” Cloud County coach Chad Eshbaugh said.
Concordia was just 7 of 24 from the floor in the first 20 minutes for 29 percent.
Cloud County did manage to hit 8 of 13 free throws, but missed all 11 three-point attempts.
“We got really good shots. We didn’t finish. Combine that with turning the ball over, it was difficult to score,” Eshbaugh said.
Concordia missed both free throw attempts in the first half, and was just 1 of 10 on three-point attempts.
The T-Birds were able to get some separation early in the second half, and pulled away to the 22-point victory.
“We had about a five-minute stretch to start the second half where we were pretty good and that was the difference,” Eshbaugh said.
Cloud County had a lead of 31 points at 59-28.
Shaun Stewart hit 8 of 14 field goal attempts, including three of six threes, and two of two free throws to lead Cloud County with 21 points. He also had five rebounds.
Marvin Smith scored 11 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for the T-Birds.
Lorenzo Dillard and Derek Henry scored eight points each.
The T-Birds finished 24 of 72 from the floor for 33 percent and 16 of 23 from the line for 70 percent.
Kenny Blank led the way for Concordia with 12 points.
The Bulldogs shot 35 percent (18 of 51) from the field and 62 percent (8 of 13) from the line.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- Grizzlies fight off T-Birds in Region 6 quarterfinals - Mar. 6, 2014
- Local wrestlers place - Mar. 4, 2014
- Mavericks bounce T-Birds from Region 6 Tournament - Mar. 3, 2014
- Hittle places second at state - Mar. 3, 2014
- CCCC defeats NWKT advances, to quarterfinals - Mar. 3, 2014
- James signs with McPherson - Mar. 3, 2014
- Panthers win in overtime over Abilene - Feb. 28, 2014
- Panthers stun Cowgirls - Feb. 28, 2014
- JV boys lose to Abilene - Feb. 28, 2014
- Abilene downs JV girls - Feb. 28, 2014
- T-Birds topple Trojans, earn home playoff game - Feb. 27, 2014
- CCCC knocks off Colby, ties for third in West - Feb. 27, 2014