Struggling T-Birds fall to Dodge City, 72-55
DODGE CITY — Struggling to score for a second straight game, the Cloud County Thunderbirds fell 72-55 to Dodge City Community College in a Jayhawk Conference Western Division game Wednesday night.
Cloud County has averaged just 54 points in consecutive losses to Seward County and Dodge City.
The T-Birds, now 11-7 overall and 2-2 in Conference play, shot just 35 percent (19 of 55) from the field in the loss to the Conquistadors. They were 2 of 12 from three-point range for 17 percent and committed 18 turnovers.
“Against Seward County we got the ball into the paint quite a bit, but last night I thought we settled for jump shots, oftentimes early in possessions,” Cloud County coach Chad Eshbaugh said.
Dodge City, 10-9 overall and 2-3 in the Jayhawk West, hit 25 of 46 field goal attempts for 54 percent, including 8 of 13 threes for 62 percent.
“We struggled at most everything. We struggled to defend. We struggled to take care of the basketball. If you don’t do those two things, you will not win on the road,” said Eshbaugh.
Dodge City gradually built a 36-22 halftime lead in the game.
The Conquistadors led by as many as 22 points, 64-42, in the second half.
“Outside of one or two guys, this is the first time through the Conference . They will know what this League has built its tradition on,” Eshbaugh said.
Ed Dyson scored 14 points and grabbed five rebounds for Cloud County. He was two of eight from the floor and 10 of 12 from the free throw line.
James Williams finished with 10 points and five rebounds for the T-Birds.
Dodge City was led by Victor Adams, the leading scorer in the Conference (20.2) with 27 points. He hit 8 of 11 field goal attempts, including six of seven threes.
“We did a poor job of Vic Adams. He is an extremely efficient scorer. The shots he took were rhythm shots, and you have to make him take hard shots,” Eshbaugh said.
Delvon Rencher was 8 of 13 from the field and three of five from the line in scoring 19 points for the Conquistadors.
Cloud County will hosts Garden City in a conference game on Saturday night.
Garden City is 10-9 overall and 2-3 in the West.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- Cloud County scorches Broncos - Dec. 9, 2013
- Trojans pull away from Panthers in opener, 63-48 - Dec. 9, 2013
- T-Birds fall short againsty No. 7 Reivers - Dec. 9, 2013
- Panthers battle past Trojans, 63-61 - Dec. 9, 2013
- CHS wrestlers place sixth at Wamego - Dec. 9, 2013
- Hawks drop T-Birds, 63-60 - Dec. 9, 2013
- CJHS wrestlers go 1-2 - Dec. 9, 2013
- Trojans knock off JV boys - Dec. 9, 2013
- JV girls lose - Dec. 9, 2013
- Two ConKids wrestlers place first - Dec. 9, 2013
- Hawks hold off hard charging T-Birds - Dec. 5, 2013
- Eighth grade girls lose to Sacred Heart - Dec. 4, 2013
- Seventh grade wins 35-4 - Dec. 4, 2013