T-Bird track team competes in Lincoln
LINCOLN, Neb. — The Cloud County Community College men’s track and field team had two individuals and a relay team place at the Frank Sevigne Husker Invitational indoor meet.
There were athletes from 24 NCAA Division I schools competing in the meet, hosted by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, along with several Division II schools and junior colleges.
Cloud County’s 4x400 relay team of Denray Ottey, Josh Charles, Denroy Ottey and Wayne Northover ran a season best time of 3:16.96 to place sixth. The time qualifies them for the NJCAA Indoor Championships.
Freshman David Hall finished sixth in the high jump for Cloud County by clearing 6-6 3/4.
Former Olympian Dusty Jonas, jumping unattached, cleared 7-8 to win the event. It is the best mark in the world this year.
George Gathuru, a freshman, ran 14:54.39 to place seventh in the 5,000-meter run for Cloud County. It is the best time in junior college this season, and qualifies him for nationals.
Gathuru was also 10th in the 3,000 with a season best time of 8:42.56. That was best among junior college runners.
Cloud County’s Shilo Goracke qualified for nationals in the 600-meter run with a time of 1:22.43. He was 10th overall and had the best finish of any junior college runner.
Josh Charles won his hit in the 400-meter dash in 49.51.
The Cloud County women recorded four first-place finishes in the Charlie Foster Classic, hosted by the University of Nebraska-Kearney.
Chioma Agwunobi won the long jump, and qualified for nationals, with a leap of 18-6. She was also first in the 200-meter dash in 25.77.
Roxanne Tyrell took first in the 600-yard dash with a time of 1:28.36.
Cloud County’s 4x400 relay team of Agwunobi, Tyrell, Brenda Barnett and Ilesha Boyles was first in 4:03.79.
Boyles placed third in the 60-meter dash in 8.07.
Tameca Wallace finished third in the long jump (17-7 1/2) and in triple jump (36-7 3/4). She qualified for nationals in the triple jump.
Barnett placed fourth in the 400 in 1:03.61.
Vanessa Resh was fourth in the 800 in 5:41.11.
Kaitlyn Orr finished sixth in the 3,000 in 11:54.79.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- Eleven Concordia wrestlers finish first - Mar. 11, 2014
- CHS boys down Clay Center 65-49 to earn first trip to state since 1999 - Mar. 10, 2014
- Tigers stun Panthers 48-40 in sub-state title game - Mar. 10, 2014
- T-Birds lose doubleheader at Butler County - Mar. 10, 2014
- Robinson wins national high jump title - Mar. 10, 2014
- Stewart, Alexander named all-conference - Mar. 10, 2014
- Panthers dominate Smoky Valley - Mar. 10, 2014
- T-Birds split with Butler - Mar. 7, 2014
- CHS girls reach sub-state finals - Mar. 7, 2014
- Grizzlies fight off T-Birds in Region 6 quarterfinals - Mar. 6, 2014
- Local wrestlers place - Mar. 4, 2014