T-Birds clip Cowley in conference opener
ARKANSAS CITY — The Cloud County Community College softball team opened Jayhawk Conference Eastern Division play with a 3-2 victory over Cowley College on Tuesday.
Cloud County, now 6-0, trailed Cowley 7-6 heading the sixth inning when the second game of the doubleheader was halted because of darkness.
The Thunderbirds took a 1-0 lead on the Tigers, ranked second in NJCAA Division II, in the top of the second inning.
Kelsey Jones reached base on an error and scored on a single by Kasie Garrison.
Cloud County extended the lead to 3-0 with two runs in the top of the sixth inning.
Garrison singled with one out and scored on a double by Ashley Johnson.
Tristen Turner doubled to drive in Johnson.
Cowley closed the gap to 3-2 with two runs on three hits and an error in the bottom of the sixth inning.
Stephanie Couser singled with one out in the bottom of the seventh inning for the T-Birds.
Jones got Caitlyn Cosme to fly out and struck out Katie Holmes to end the game.
Allowing two runs on seven hits in seven innings, Jones got the win. She struck out nine and walked one.
Jessica Seay took the loss for Cowley. She gave up three runs on nine hits, struck out seven and didn't walk any in seven innings.
Johnson was 3-for-3 at the plate for Cloud County.
Garrison had two hits for the T-Birds.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- T-Birds split with Butler - Mar. 7, 2014
- CHS girls reach sub-state finals - Mar. 7, 2014
- Grizzlies fight off T-Birds in Region 6 quarterfinals - Mar. 6, 2014
- Local wrestlers place - Mar. 4, 2014
- Mavericks bounce T-Birds from Region 6 Tournament - Mar. 3, 2014
- Hittle places second at state - Mar. 3, 2014
- CCCC defeats NWKT advances, to quarterfinals - Mar. 3, 2014
- James signs with McPherson - Mar. 3, 2014