T-Birds drop Jayhawk doubleheader
The Cloud County Community College baseball team dropped both ends of a Jayhawk Conference Western Division doubleheader to Butler Community College Monday at the Concordia Sports Complex.
Butler won the first game 5-3, and completed the sweep with a 16-8 victory in the second game.
Game one was scoreless through three innings.
Butler scored two runs in the top of the fourth.
Jackson Cain doubled and scored on a single by Kody Cox in the bottom of the fourth, and Cloud County trailed 2-1.
Three runs in the top of the sixth inning gave Butler a 4-1 advantage.
Cloud County made it 4-2 when Roger Diaz doubled and scored on a ground ball by Austin White in the bottom of the sixth.
Butler added a run in the top of the seventh.
Cain singled with two out in the bottom of the inning.
Cal Zagurski was hit by a pitch, and Diaz singled to drive in a run to make it 5-3.
A ground ball ended the game.
Matthew Forsythe gave up two runs on seven hits in five innings in taking the loss. He struck out three and walked one.
Trevor Rinne pitched two innings, and allowed three runs, two earned, on two hits. He walked four.
Diaz had four hits in four at bats for Cloud County.
Cain and Cox had two hits each.
Butler bolted to a 6-0 lead in the first two innings of game two.
Jesse Rall doubled and scored on a sacrifice fly by Diaz in the bottom of the second.
The Thunderbirds put up five runs on four hits, a walk and two errors in the third inning to tie the game at 6-6.
Daniel Schafer drove in two runs.
Three runs in the top of the fifth inning gave the Grizzlies the lead back at 9-6.
Cloud County made it 9-8 with two runs in the bottom of the fifth.
Diaz and Cooper Skjeie each doubled and scored in the inning.
Butler blew the game open with four runs in the sixth inning.
The Grizzlies added three runs in the eighth.
Rall took the loss giving up six runs on seven hits and walking two in an inning and two-thirds.
Zachary Larkin allowed three runs on four hits, struck out one and walked three in three and a third innings.
Taylor Keller worked an inning and allowed four runs on four hits. He struck out one.
Caleb Blumer pitched the final three innings. He gave up three unearned runs on two hits and struck out four.
Rall had four hits and scored two runs.
Skjeie, Cain and JD Peterson had two hits each.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- Bulldogs handle CHS wrestlers - Dec. 20, 2013
- Panthers roll Wamego, 39-19 - Dec. 20, 2013
- Panthers romp past Bulldogs in league matchup - Dec. 18, 2013
- Panthers lose to Bulldogs - Dec. 18, 2013
- Bulldogs outscore Panthers, 68-63 - Dec. 18, 2013
- CHS JV wins, 56-52 - Dec. 18, 2013
- Panthers fall in semifinal - Dec. 17, 2013
- Panthers lose in first round of NCKL tournament - Dec. 17, 2013
- Panthers pull away from Vikings, 69-41 - Dec. 16, 2013
- Unbeaten Panthers hold off Vikings - Dec. 16, 2013
- CHS goes 4-3 in Eagle Invitational - Dec. 16, 2013
- Panther JV tumbles - Dec. 16, 2013
- CJHS wrestlers place fourth in league - Dec. 16, 2013
- Two ConKids wrestlers place in top four - Dec. 16, 2013