T-Birds fall to Butler
Coming off a lopsided win over Kansas City Kansas on Friday, the Cloud County Community College women’s soccer team pushed sixth-ranked Butler County to the final minutes before falling 5-3 in a home match on Sunday.
Cloud County, now 7-5 overall and 5-3 in Conference play, rolled past Kansas City Kansas 7-1, and had a 3-2 lead on Butler County in the second half of the Jayhawk Conference showdown.
The Grizzlies would score the final three goals of the match to pull out the 5-3 win.
“The girls actually played quite well. We had a lead on three separate occasions,” Cloud County coach Steve Ralos said.
Cloud County took a 1-0 lead on Butler County when Georgia Walters scored the final goal of the match.
The Grizzlies, 12-2 overall and 8-0 in the Conference, scored to tie it up at 1-1.
A goal by Brandi Jones, off an assist from Walters, gave the Thunderbirds the lead back at 2-1.
Butler County pulled even at 2-2 heading into halftime.
A second goal by Walters gave Cloud County the lead back at 3-2.
Walters nearly scored again for the T-Birds.
“The goalkeeper made a fantastic save,” Ralos said.
Butler County knotted things up at 3-3.
Scoring with about nine minutes remaining, the Grizzlies grabbed their first lead of the match.
Butler County added a goal in the final seconds.
Walters scored three goals in Cloud County’s 7-1 home win over Kansas City Kansas on Friday.
The T-Birds led the match 4-1 at halftime, and added three goals in the second half.
Carly Grit scored two goals for the T-Birds.
Jones and Anyi Lamprea had one goal each.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- T-Birds split with Butler - Mar. 7, 2014
- CHS girls reach sub-state finals - Mar. 7, 2014
- Grizzlies fight off T-Birds in Region 6 quarterfinals - Mar. 6, 2014
- Local wrestlers place - Mar. 4, 2014
- Mavericks bounce T-Birds from Region 6 Tournament - Mar. 3, 2014
- Hittle places second at state - Mar. 3, 2014
- CCCC defeats NWKT advances, to quarterfinals - Mar. 3, 2014
- James signs with McPherson - Mar. 3, 2014