T-Birds pick up one win over weekend
The Cloud County Community College softball team started the weekend on a high note Friday outscoring Kansas City Kansas 9-2 in the first game of a doubleheader at T-Bird field.
Unfortunately the rest of the weekend didn't go as well. The T-Birds lost the second game on Friday 9-1 and were swept by Highland 6-3 and 4-0 on Saturday.
The T-Birds took the lead in game one on Friday in the first inning.
Sierra Eason led off the bottom of the first with a walk and scored later in the inning on a single by Jessica Downard.
The T-Birds added four more in the third, sending ten batters to the plate in the inning.
Chatley Lovvorn led off the inning with a homerun.
Downard followed with a single and scored on a double by Kaylee Mick.
Madison Bryant singled, driving in Mick.
Katelyn Bailey was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded scoring Bryant.
Mikayla Soderstrom belted a home run in the bottom of the fifth giving Cloud County a 6-0 lead.
KCK got their only two runs of the game in the top of the sixth.
The T-Birds answered with four more runs in the bottom of the inning for the 10-2 final.
Lovvorn was hit by a pitch to start the inning.
Mick singled with one out.
Kelsey Jones drove in one run with a single and Bryant followed with an RBI single of her own.
Tavia Fazel drove in a run with a bases loaded walk and Eason singled to drive in the final run.
Jones pitched all six innings allowing two runs on seven hits.
She walked two and struckout five.
Lovvorn, Downard, Mick, Bryant, Jones and Soderstrom each had two hits for the T-Birds.
KCK took the lead in game two with four runs in the top of the second inning.
The T-Birds scored once in the bottom of the third to make the score 3-1.
Soderstrom reached on an error and scored on a single by Eason.
Kansas City added four in the fourth and one in the sixth for the 9-1 final.
Savanna Luke pitched the first four innings allowing eight runs on nine hits; she struckout four.
Jones pitched the final two innings allowing one run on two hits; she struckout one and walked one.
In game one on Saturday, Highland took a 1-0 lead with a home run by Kaley Pyles in the top of the second inning.
The T-Birds got on top with three runs in the third.
Bailey started the inning with a single, Downard singled with one out and Mick was hit by a pitch to load the bases.
Jones walked to drive in a run, Downard stole home and Bryant singled in a run.
Highland tied the game with two runs in the seventh and scored three runs in the eighth for the extra inning win.
Jones pitched all eight innings, giving up six runs on seven hits, she walked two and struckout six.
Highland scored three runs in the third inning of game two and added one in the seventh for the 4-0 win.
The T-Birds could only muster two hits in the game.
Luke pitched all seven innings allowing four runs on five hits, she walked two and struckout seven.
The T-Birds will travel to Dodge City for a doubleheader tomorrow.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- Panthers romp past Bulldogs in league matchup - Dec. 18, 2013
- Panthers lose to Bulldogs - Dec. 18, 2013
- Bulldogs outscore Panthers, 68-63 - Dec. 18, 2013
- CHS JV wins, 56-52 - Dec. 18, 2013
- Panthers fall in semifinal - Dec. 17, 2013
- Panthers lose in first round of NCKL tournament - Dec. 17, 2013
- Panthers pull away from Vikings, 69-41 - Dec. 16, 2013
- Unbeaten Panthers hold off Vikings - Dec. 16, 2013
- CHS goes 4-3 in Eagle Invitational - Dec. 16, 2013
- Panther JV tumbles - Dec. 16, 2013
- CJHS wrestlers place fourth in league - Dec. 16, 2013
- Two ConKids wrestlers place in top four - Dec. 16, 2013
- Eighth grade gets win over Republic County - Dec. 13, 2013
- Seventh grade cruises past Republic County - Dec. 13, 2013
- Late surge pushes Panthers past Buffs - Dec. 11, 2013
- Panthers win second straight - Dec. 11, 2013
- CJHS wrestlers split - Dec. 11, 2013
- Republic County down Panther JV - Dec. 11, 2013
- JV girls lose - Dec. 11, 2013