Three CHS runners qualify for state meet
BUHLER — Three Concordia High School runners will be making a third straight trip to the Class 4A state cross country meet.
Garet Koester, Courtney Monzon and Katie Lambert each qualified for state for the third straight year by placing in the top seven individually in the 4A regional meet at Buhler on Saturday.
Koester, a senior who medaled at state last season, turned in a time of 17:40.00 to finish sixth in the boys’ race.
Monzon, a junior, is a two-time state placer. She placed fifth in the girls’ race with a time of 16:17.20.
Lambert, a senior, ran 16:25.50 to finish seventh, and earn a trip back to state.
The state meet will be Saturday at Wamego Country Club.
“They all three should medal. I would be disappointed if they didn’t,” Concordia coach John James said.
The Concordia girls, after qualifying for state two years in a row as a team, finished fourth at regionals, and one spot out of returning.
“We knew going in what the situation was,” James said, “We have been so banged up all season. I am disappointed we didn’t step up and take care of business.”
Pratt won the girls’ team title with 78 points. Ulysses was second with 99. Clay Center finished third with 100, and Concordia scored 104.
The Panther boys placed eighth with 203 points.
Hugoton won the meet with 46 points. Clay Center was second with 84 and Ulysses was third with 95.
Junior Katie Thompson finished 25th for the Concordia girls in 18:01.70.
Sophomore Tori Reed was 33rd for the Panthers with a time of 18:18.70.
Olivia Leif, a junior, ran 18:49.00 to place 43rd.
Sophomore Kirstyn Dvorak was 71st in 20:22.10.
Kaylah Romine, Pratt, won the race with a time of 15:46.80.
The Concordia boys had sophomore Isaac Sprague finish 16th in 18:29.90.
Senior Daniel Longfellow placed 55th for the Panthers in 19:52.20.
Bailey Kymer, a senior, ran 20:03.60 to finish 60th.
Senior Micah Fabarez was 71st in 20:28.50.
Junior Cody Schmitz crossed in 74th place in 20:30.60.
Freshman Connor Reynolds placed 91st in 21:36.80.
Jacob Wallace, Andale, won the boys’ race with a time of 16:36.40.
CLASS 4A REGIONAL
Hugoton 46, Clay Center 84, Ulysses 95, Andale 107, Hesston 121, Buhler 126, Goodland 187, Concordia 203, Colby 241, McPherson 290, Abilene 297, Chapman 306, Pratt 312, Smoky Valley 409.
Top 10 Individuals
1. Wallace, Andale, 16:36.40; 2. Sturdy, Clay Center, 16:45.70; 3. Weaver, Hugoton, 16:51.40; 4. Martin, Hugoton, 17:34.10; 5. Horton, Buhler, 17:34.10; 6. Koester, Concordia, 17:40.00; 7. Fox, Clay Center, 17:45.80; 8. Hageman, Hesston, 17:48.40; 9. Castro, Hugoton, 17:52.00; 10. Miller, Ulysses, 17:59.10.
Pratt 78, Ulysses 99, Clay Center 100, Concordia 104, Andale 125, Hesston 164, McPherson 177, Buhler 186, Colby 210, Smoky Valley 233, Hugoton 240, Abilene 254.
Top 10 Individuals
1. Romine, Pratt, 15:46.0; 2. Branscum, Ulysses, 15:50.10; 3. Heddin, Hesston, 16:04.30; 4. Gordon, Larned, 16:17.20; 5. Monzon, Concordia, 16:17.20; 6. Browne, Colby, 16:19.70; 7. Lambert, Concordia, 16:35.50; 8. Anthony, Pratt, 16:49.30; 9. Siruta, Goodland, 16:56.50; 10. Kipfer, Clay Center, 16:58.80.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- Panthers reach state tournament for second straight year - May. 16, 2013
- Panthers advance to regional title game - May. 14, 2013
- Fabarez qualifies for 4A state golf tournament - May. 14, 2013
- Tigers end CHS softball season - May. 14, 2013
- CHS grad picks up third win for WSU - May. 13, 2013
- CHS girls finish second at NCKL meet - May. 13, 2013
- Panthers get fifth straight NCKL title - May. 13, 2013
- CCCC track gets three seconds - May. 13, 2013