Two CHS golfers qualify for state tournament
LARNED — The streak continues for the Concordia High School girls’ golf team.
Concordia will be represented at the state tournament for the ninth consecutive year after sophomores Stormie Hittle and Janae Champlin placed sixth and 13th respectively in the Class 4A regional tournament Monday at Larned Country Club.
It will be the first time Concordia has had two individuals qualify for the state.
The Panthers have qualified as a team six times, and have had one individual advance twice.
Hittle and Champlin were part of the team that competed at state last season.
The state tournament will be played next Monday at Hesston Golf Park.
“I am very proud to have these young ladies representing our golf program, and school, at the state golf tournament,” Concordia coach Emmet Rudolph said.
Hittle, who shot a 121 at Larned Country Club in the Larned Invitational back on Sept. 13, followed up a 53 on the front nine with a 48 on the back to finish with a 101, and place sixth.
“Stormie hit the ball well today. She hit it straight, and improved 20 strokes from the first time she played at Larned this year. She also had three birdies on the day,” Rudolph said.
Champlin, who carded a 140 in her first trip to Larned this season, turned in rounds of 58-49 to finish 13th with a 107.
“Janae improved 23 strokes on the day from her previous round at Larned. She continues to improve throughout the year. She hits the ball straight, and stays calm during her rounds,” Rudolph said.
The top three teams, and top five individuals not on one of those teams, qualify for state.
Goodland, Colby and Ulysses all shot 414 in the tournament.
Based on the tiebreaker, Goodland captured the team title. Colby was second and Ulysses was third.
Concordia finished sixth as a team with a 478.
Autaum Poley had rounds of 71-62 for a 133 for the Panthers.
Kayla Dvorak shot 137 with rounds of 71-66.
Maggie Koops, Ulysses, was the individual medalist with a 91.
CLASS 4A REGIONAL
Goodland 414, Colby 414, Ulysses 414, Larned 450, Hugoton 469, Concordia 478, Pratt 490.
Top 10 Individuals
1. Koops, Ulysses, 91; 2. Kreutzer, Ulysses, 94; 3. Skelton, Larned, 95; 4. Perryman, Goodland, 96; 5. Barton, Colby, 99; 6. Hittle, Concordia, 101; 7. Kriss, Colby, 102; 8 Alquist, Clay Center, 102; 9. Cowan, Goodland, 104; 10. Kern, Colby, 104.
Skelton, Larned, 95; Hittle, Concordia, 101; Alquist, Clay Center, 102; Schmidt, Pratt, 107; Champlin, Concordia, 107.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- Cloud County scorches Broncos - Dec. 9, 2013
- Trojans pull away from Panthers in opener, 63-48 - Dec. 9, 2013
- T-Birds fall short againsty No. 7 Reivers - Dec. 9, 2013
- Panthers battle past Trojans, 63-61 - Dec. 9, 2013
- CHS wrestlers place sixth at Wamego - Dec. 9, 2013
- Hawks drop T-Birds, 63-60 - Dec. 9, 2013
- CJHS wrestlers go 1-2 - Dec. 9, 2013
- Trojans knock off JV boys - Dec. 9, 2013
- JV girls lose - Dec. 9, 2013
- Two ConKids wrestlers place first - Dec. 9, 2013
- Hawks hold off hard charging T-Birds - Dec. 5, 2013
- Eighth grade girls lose to Sacred Heart - Dec. 4, 2013
- Seventh grade wins 35-4 - Dec. 4, 2013
- Reivers too much for Cloud County - Dec. 2, 2013
- T-Birds lose for second time in two days - Dec. 2, 2013
- Cloud County uses balance in win over Northern Oklahoma-Tonkawa - Dec. 2, 2013
- T-Birds can't recover from Cougars second half run - Dec. 2, 2013