Wamego comes from behind to beat Panthers
Coming off a win over Clay Center, the Concordia seventh grade boys’ basketball team got out to a 15-8 halftime lead on Wamego, but couldn’t hold on.
Wamego, after receiving a bye in the opening round of the North Central Kansas League Tournament, outscored Concordia 29-12 in the second half to capture a 37-27 victory in the semifinals on Monday.
The Panthers, who will play in the third-place game of the tournament they are hosting on Thursday, knocked off Clay Center 48-40 in the first round.
Concordia led Wamego 11-4 after one quarter of play in the semifinal matchup.
Each team scored four points in the second period, and the Panthers were up 15-8 at halftime.
Wamego pumped in 14 points in the third quarter, to six for Concordia, to go up 22-21.
Concordia was limited to six points in the final period, and Wamego scored 15.
Billy Bechard scored 10 points for the Panthers. Tyler Stupka added nine points.
Concordia trailed Clay Center 10-9 after one quarter of play in the first-round game.
The Panthers put up 13 points in the second stanza, to six for Clay Center, to take a 22-16 halftime lead.
Clay Center outscored Concordia 11-7 in the third quarter to close the gap to 29-27.
The Panthers then erupted for 19 points in the final period to 13 for Clay Center.
Bechard led the way for Concordia with 22 points.
Stupka chipped in seven points. Brent Beaumont and Garrett Lawrence had six points each.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
- T-Birds split with Butler - Mar. 7, 2014
- CHS girls reach sub-state finals - Mar. 7, 2014
- Grizzlies fight off T-Birds in Region 6 quarterfinals - Mar. 6, 2014
- Local wrestlers place - Mar. 4, 2014
- Mavericks bounce T-Birds from Region 6 Tournament - Mar. 3, 2014
- Hittle places second at state - Mar. 3, 2014
- CCCC defeats NWKT advances, to quarterfinals - Mar. 3, 2014
- James signs with McPherson - Mar. 3, 2014