Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Panthers cap off comeback victory over Irish, 55-50

Concordia was unable to cap off a furious second half comeback attempt against the Chapman Irish in the first meeting this season.
The Panthers closed the deal in the rematch.
Trailing Chapman 28-18 at halftime, the Panthers battled back to within two points on two occasions in the third quarter.
Chapman would stretch the lead to nine points, 48-39, with just under five minutes to play.
The Panthers put together a 16-2 run to pull out a 55-50 North Central Kansas League victory Friday night in the Concordia Junior-Senior High School gymnasium.
“I hate to say it, but I think we were kind of scared the first half. I was trying to get them to be more aggressive and attack, and it wasn’t working during the game. We had a little talk at halftime, and told them they didn’t have anything to fear. They came out the second half and played great,” Concordia coach Michael Roe said.
In the first meeting of the season, Concordia trailed Chapman trailed 38-20 at halftime.
The Panthers outscored the Irish 30-12 to pull even at 50-50.
Chapman then scored the final six points of the game to pick up the 56-50 victory.
Concordia would not let a second half rally go unrewarded a second time against the Irish.
The Panthers have won consecutive games for the first time this season, and have picked up four victories in their last six games to improve to 6-11 overall and 2-6 in league play.
Chapman, ranked eighth in Class 4A, falls to 14-3 overall and 6-2 in the NCKL.
The Irish led the game 48-39 when Izek Jackson scored with 6:10 to play in the game. They would score just two more points.
A three-point basket by Dyelan Reed, a free throw by Wyatt Trost and a bucket by Chase Parker pulled Concordia within three points, 48-45, with 3:39 on the clock.
Reed, who connected on 16 of 17 free throws, led all scorers with 31 points. He also had 11 rebounds and four steals.
Jackson, who paced Chapman with 14 points, followed up a missed shot to make it a 50-45 game.
Corben Monzon buried a three just 13 seconds later, and the Panthers trailed just 50-48.
Concordia got a defensive stop, and on a third shot attempt, Reed tied the game at 50-50 with 1:59 remaining.
Anthony Wasylk, who scored 13 points for Chapman, missed a three-point attempt.
A three-point try by Monzon was off the mark, but Trost came flying down the lane and followed up the miss to give Concordia it first lead since it was 2-0 at 52-50.
Wasylk again missed on a three-point attempt. The Irish got the offensive rebound, but Brandon Colston couldn’t get a follow attempt to drop.
Reed rebounded the miss, and was fouled. He made his first free throw attempt, but missed the second, and it was a 53-50 game with 25 seconds left.
Wasylk drove to the basket, but was unable to finish.
Reed was fouled again with 10.7 seconds to play. He made both free throws to push the Panthers lead to 55-50.
A three-point attempt by Wasylk was off the mark, and Concordia was able to run out the clock.
Monzon joined Reed in double figures for the Panthers with 10 points.
Kel Stroud scored 10 points for Chapman.
Concordia made 22 of 28 from the free throw line. Chapman shot just three free throws in the game, and made one.
A steal and a layup by Ivon Owen gave Concordia an early 2-0 lead in the game.
The Panthers would not score from the field again until Reed followed up a missed shot with 3:10 to play in the second quarter.
Concordia did make all 14 of its free throws in the first half to stay within striking distance.
“I told the guys we were lucky we aren’t down 20, 25 or 30 (points). When you shoot the ball 10 times in the first half usually you are down more than 10,” Roe said, “At the same time they were fouling three-point shooters and two-point shooters, and we were making the most of those opportunities.”
Chapman was up 14-9 at the end of the first quarter.
The Irish opened the second period with  an 11-4 spurt to extend the lead to 25-13.
Two free throws by Nick Vignery left Concordia trailing 28-18 at halftime.
Consecutive threes by Reed and a layup by Monzon in the first 2:17 of the third quarter pulled the Panthers within two points, 28-26.
Chapman would push the lead back to eight points, 42-34.
Monzon made a three as time ran out in the period to leave Concordia trailing 42-37.
The Panthers would fall behind be nine points before mounting the comeback.
Concordia will host Phillipsburg Tuesday night in the second of four straight home games to finish the regular season.

Colston 3-0-2 6, Marshall 1-0-2 3, Jackson 7-0-4 14, Wasylk 5-1-0 13, Riegel 0-0-1 0, Lovett 10-2 2, Stroud 5-0-3 12. Totals: 22-1-14 50.
Vignery 0-2-0 2, Trost 1-3-0 5, Cav Carlgren 0-0-2 0, Monzon 4-0-2 10, Owen 1-0-02 2, Chas Carlgren 1-0-4 2, Reed 6-16-2 31, Parker 1-1-1 3. Totals: 14-22-12 55.


Concordia Blade-Empire

510 Washington St.
Concordia, KS 66901